Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

slugs

Old 11-27-2015, 05:40 PM
Spike

Default slugs

I was wandering if anyone could give me an idea on the best sabots for a 20 gauge mossberg 500. I tried a couple last year and didn't get much consistency. Wandered what was working good for others.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am assuming you have the deer slayer rifled barrel. Mine loved the old lightfields. Grouped exceptionally well with them, wasn't too awful hard on the wallet, and hammered deer. Now that was the 12 gauge not the 20. My daughter uses a 20 gauge Rem 870 (rather, used till this year after discovering Muzzleloading ) and she used several different brands. Hers pretty much ate everything she fed it with reasonable accuracy and the best 2 seemed to be the Hornady SST load and the Rem Accutip.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

First of all, make sure your barrel is tight by seeing if you can physically flex it. When I first got a 500 w/rifled barrel, I went to the range w/Winchester BRI sabots. The group was more like a pattern because of barrel twist from shot torque. Tightening by hand wasn't good enough. I went home and covered the barrel screw w/a rag and tightened it w/vice grips leaving a small air gap between the barrel and magazine. If you do this, do not tighten the barrel completely, leaving no gap. Mossberg's manual says that's a no-no.
My groups at 100 yds. tightened immediately. If this isn't your problem, Winchester and Federal load the BRI style slug and that is the most accurate slug I've found so far. Each gun varies, but that slug is definitely worth trying. Reviews seem to back that up.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 11-28-2015 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:35 PM
Spike

I tried hornady sst .could barely keep on paper.high right.went to copper solids which what I originally sighted in with .rite back to bullseye at 50 yards
Old 12-02-2015, 11:29 PM
Typical Buck

rem accu tips worked best for me using a savage 220 & rem copper solids & winchester gold partions were a close second
Old 12-06-2015, 07:40 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the information. I am working on gathering a few to try. He decided for this year to stick with his 410 for now but will definitely be taking the 20 next year.