Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Shawnee near ava.il >

Shawnee near ava.il

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Shawnee near ava.il

Old 11-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Spike

Default Shawnee near ava.il

Hey guys .I'm heading down to Shawnee for gun season with friend who invited me.we will be camping near ava on public ground .my buddy been down for many years. Says he shoots deer .but got to see to believe.any tips .goin in blind .I'm not looking for specifics.just general advice.im a bowhunter also so might go few days early.I have climber and and a hang on.been tough bow season so far so lookin to put one in freezer.thanks in advance .
Old 11-09-2015, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well if your buddy has been hunting there for many years and is shooting deer I would have to say follow his advice.

Of course the time proven stuff needs to be followed to increase your chance of getting a deer or maybe dumb luck might happen.

Pay attention to scent and wind direction.

Be absolutely as quiet as possible at all times.

Keep movement to a minimum and if you need to move do it as slowly as possible.

Don't just look for a whole deer. If a deer comes into sight you will probably see it. Look for movement - any movement. Then figure out what it is. Bird? Squirrel? Leaf? (I generally don't focus on open areas. I look into the woods where I think deer will come from and look for movement inside there.)

And listen.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another thing I would like to point out. This is for everyone.

You are going somewhere you have never been before. So obviously you want to learn as much about the hunting as possible. But what about other REAL important stuff?

I'm talking about safety.

I could go on and on and on as I am a state hunter safety instructor but I will hit on a few things.

1. Keep a signaling whistle with you at all times secured to your body where you can reach it if you get in trouble. Use a water safe whistle, which means no pea inside to break or freeze up. 3 toots means distress. To reply to a distress blow your whistle once.

2. Have a reliable means of knowing where you are. Compass, map, GPS (w/extra batteries).

3. Keep a cellphone with you, fully charged.

4. Put the phone numbers and addresses of local places to get help in your cellphone and write the addresses down in case your batt dies. Familiarize yourself with their locations a bit as you may have to find them and it may well be dark when you do.
Ranger Station?
Police Dept or Sheriff's Office?
Burrito Loco?
Hospital?
24 Hour care center?

You don't want to be searching for these important places if you need any of them.