Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Chequamegon-Nicolet >

Chequamegon-Nicolet

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Chequamegon-Nicolet

Old 11-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Spike

Default Chequamegon-Nicolet

Has anybody hunted here is it worth the effort? Any if would be good
Old 11-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Spike

Default I hunt close to there

I've been hunting up in that area for many years. Not exactly in the National forest. Just to the west in county forest land near Cable. It can be real hit or miss. If you can scout - do it. The deer population is really low up there this year from what I hear. The last two years there have been real hard winters. Couple that with the wolves and bear and it can lead to some slim pickins. There has also been talk that the forest hasn't been managed too well and needs to have some logging to help hold more deer. In the past I've had really good luck but last year I didn't even see a single track.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:15 AM
Spike

Wow thanks for the heads up
Old 11-20-2014, 01:23 AM
Fork Horn

We hunted the national forest just west of Park falls for many years. I do like the area and we killed lots of deer. Its big woods hunting not like hunting ag fields..We saw a few huge bucks taken out while we were hunting. You gun or bow hunting ? If your a meat hunter gun season is pretty easy if you can still hunt or track well..
Old 11-20-2014, 09:54 PM
Spike

I do both but prefer rifle
Old 12-07-2015, 07:18 AM
Spike

Really curious to find out how your hunt went up in the national forest?
Old 10-01-2016, 06:11 AM
Spike

Default 2015 season results

With the season fast approaching I thought I'd get active on the ol huntingnet and saw I was remiss in responding to your question regarding how we did. It turned out to be another difficult season. We hunted the Bayfield county forest which pretty much butts up to the national forest. We saw a lot more deer than in the last couple years but they were all does and it was buck only. Out a group of 6 with only 3 seriously hunting I was the only one to fill my tag. Nothing to write home about but it was meat for the freezer. The guy who owns the place we hunt at informed me that the wolf population is back up so the deer may be a bit scare again. The DNR is reporting a lot of bear dogs getting killed this year too so you know they are around. Back to last year... I think I saw around 4 to 6 deer a day opening weekend. I had a yearling 3 feet away and the darn thing wouldnt leave. The rest of my crew wasnt as lucky. They saw maybe 1 or 2. Will be interested to see what this year brings.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

Try in the areas of the big forest fire a year ago. Almost everything was clearcut, and the burn areas are lush and green with new growth. Excellent food and cover for the deer.
Try to be between them and water in the stands of larger timber.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:49 AM
Spike

Where was the fire at? I've been scouring the web looking for information and can't find any.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

West and South of the town of Barnes.

http://archive.jsonline.com/news/wis...207511341.html