Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Missouri hunters Managed Deer Hunts # of entries not reported correctly >

Missouri hunters Managed Deer Hunts # of entries not reported correctly

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.
View Poll Results: Should preference points be included in number of entries?
Yes
100.00%
No
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Missouri hunters Managed Deer Hunts # of entries not reported correctly

Old 03-16-2014, 07:13 PM
Spike

Default Missouri hunters Managed Deer Hunts # of entries not reported correctly

When MO went to the preference point system for managed deer hunts it changed how many entries there are for a specific hunt.

MDC when they release the managed deer hunt results graph it shows number of hunters entered, number of open slots, number drawn and percent chance.

In there yearly report which is already out for the 2013-2014 season the number of hunter does NOT include the preference points, nor has it ever since the preference point system was started, and it only includes the number of people how put in for the drawing.

I have contacted MDC by email and they confirmed they do not include the preference points in there yearly report.

If you have a hunt that had 500 people enter it for 250 slots you would think you chances are 50/50 but that is far from what they really are because when you add the preference points in the number of entries could swell to a 1000 making you chances much much less.

90% of MDC managed deer hunts having the preference points included in the number of entries would give you a really good guide as to what hunt maybe better for you to enter as far as your chance of being drawn.

For hunts that have a huge amount of entries for just a few slots like Mingo WLR they had 2400+ entries for 150 slots but if you add the preference points the number of entries would be close to 10,000 I would estimate. Adding the preference points in is not going to really help you much but you will have that data to help guide you should you decide to put in for a different hunt.

I know the draw is still random and someone with one entry could still be drawn while someone with 5 entries is not.

I have always looked at the managed deer report to help me decide which hunt I think I would have better chance of being drawn for and I know alot of people that also do this.

If you are going to have preference points and put out a yearly report shouldn't those points be included in that report because they are accurate numbers unlike what we have now.

What is your opinion?