Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
prepping for 2014 Illinois deer season >

prepping for 2014 Illinois deer season

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

prepping for 2014 Illinois deer season

Old 01-01-2014, 08:42 AM
Spike

Default prepping for 2014 Illinois deer season

I havn't been bow hunting in 8 years. But my boy just turned 12 and is wanting to hunt. So we are starting our prep for next archery and shotgun season. I have some property to hunt, but we intend on hunting Eckards woods near carlyle lake. I am hoping to get a little advice from someone that hunts this area. Not your secrets just get us around some of the learning curve.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck, I tried the same thing when I went to Ohio and not much help came my way
Old 01-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Spike

I see that. But im not going there i live within 10 miles
Old 01-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing beats boots on the ground. I hunt that area for waterfowl. But mainly on the river or when the area floods out. You see quite a a few boats tied up and hunting the area from the river.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by day_stalker
I havn't been bow hunting in 8 years. But my boy just turned 12 and is wanting to hunt. So we are starting our prep for next archery and shotgun season. I have some property to hunt, but we intend on hunting Eckards woods near carlyle lake. I am hoping to get a little advice from someone that hunts this area. Not your secrets just get us around some of the learning curve.
If you can get aerial maps of the area, that would be a good start. You need to walk the area one section at a time. I have tried this in the past but no one would help when it comes to deer hunting. When you find a good spot don't tell anyone where it is. Park in a different area and walk to it.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

Go check it out at the end of March. You can shed hunt, scout at the same time before everything turns green
Old 01-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never hunted in that area but checked out the aerial maps to see what it looked like. From the looks of it, you'll have some walking to do to get to some good spots away from the beaten path. Looking at the topo maps too it looks like there are small patches that have some slight elevation changes as well. I'd pick those type of areas out and scout them this spring. I think while people are hunting field edges where there is probably a lot of night time activity, if you get back in a little ways and scout some of the elevation changes and funnels you will have much better luck. Good Luck!