Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Illinois - I'm fed up!!!!! >

Illinois - I'm fed up!!!!!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois - I'm fed up!!!!!

Old 12-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Spike

Default Illinois - I'm fed up!!!!!

I've been meaning to write on the topic of the Illinois deer herd for awhile now and figured now might be the time to do it. In no way am I an expert on the topic. I've actually learned a lot in the past few weeks (I didn't even know what EHD was before then and what a problem it is in Illinois). Something has struck a nerve though and I really feel the need to express a few ideas.

I am really concerned about the future of hunting in our state not only for myself but for my children. I wonder if my five year old son will have an opportunity to enjoy the deer hunting experience I have as I grew up. Now I know that a lot of what is being written is probably just "conspiracy theory" and not true. But I suspect there is at least a grain of truth in some of these theories. We all know for a fact what a corrupt state Illinois has become (just look at our past governors sitting in jail cells). And I am sure that the IDNR has been run improperly (at least to some extent). What I don't know is what exactly was done/is being done wrong and what should can be done to improve. Anyway, I have been giving all this a lot of thought and have come up with the following ideas:

1. I need to get more involved. This doesn't just relate to the deer issue, but the politics of this state in general. I, like everyone else, complain about Illlinois a lot. But I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as I should be. As someone said earlier, knowledge is power. All of us need to pay more attention to what is going on around us.

2. I need to take a stand. I am a registered voter but I need to go to the polls with more knowledge on who I am voting for. I need to contact my state and federal elected officials often and not sit on my hands in silence. If we all start to stand together and make our voice heard, maybe we can make a difference.

3. Are there any associations in Illinois dedicated to hunting and conservation and fighting for hunters rights? If there is, I would be very interested in joining. I know I have searched online for a forum page similiar to Michigan's (http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum) but I haven't really found one for Illinois.

These are just a few ideas. I still don't know exactly what I'm going to do beyond what I already listed to help but I know I'm sick and tired of seeing this state go down the drain. And I'm not going to stand by and see deer hunting be destroyed like so much else has been in this state!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

The only orgs here that get any attention are outfitters and landowners, who lined the pockets of legislators until our nonresident tags were 100% OTC. They threw us resident public land hunters under the bus in a heartbeat for a few $$$. The public land quality has nosedived in the last 7 years, while the leased land fees have tripled.

The only org I'll be joining now is the Iowa Bow Hunters Association.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by pmsmith2032
I've been meaning to write on the topic of the Illinois deer herd for awhile now and figured now might be the time to do it. In no way am I an expert on the topic. I've actually learned a lot in the past few weeks (I didn't even know what EHD was before then and what a problem it is in Illinois). Something has struck a nerve though and I really feel the need to express a few ideas.

I am really concerned about the future of hunting in our state not only for myself but for my children. I wonder if my five year old son will have an opportunity to enjoy the deer hunting experience I have as I grew up. Now I know that a lot of what is being written is probably just "conspiracy theory" and not true. But I suspect there is at least a grain of truth in some of these theories. We all know for a fact what a corrupt state Illinois has become (just look at our past governors sitting in jail cells). And I am sure that the IDNR has been run improperly (at least to some extent). What I don't know is what exactly was done/is being done wrong and what should can be done to improve. Anyway, I have been giving all this a lot of thought and have come up with the following ideas:

1. I need to get more involved. This doesn't just relate to the deer issue, but the politics of this state in general. I, like everyone else, complain about Illlinois a lot. But I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as I should be. As someone said earlier, knowledge is power. All of us need to pay more attention to what is going on around us.

2. I need to take a stand. I am a registered voter but I need to go to the polls with more knowledge on who I am voting for. I need to contact my state and federal elected officials often and not sit on my hands in silence. If we all start to stand together and make our voice heard, maybe we can make a difference.

3. Are there any associations in Illinois dedicated to hunting and conservation and fighting for hunters rights? If there is, I would be very interested in joining. I know I have searched online for a forum page similiar to Michigan's (http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum) but I haven't really found one for Illinois.

These are just a few ideas. I still don't know exactly what I'm going to do beyond what I already listed to help but I know I'm sick and tired of seeing this state go down the drain. And I'm not going to stand by and see deer hunting be destroyed like so much else has been in this state!

This is what I've been talking about for months! I'm glad people are starting to take notice. Jeff Lampe of Heartland Outdoors is trying to get a group together right now.

http://www.heartlandoutdoors.com/sca...scatter_shots/
Old 12-17-2013, 04:41 AM
Spike

Thanks guys for the feedback. I remember reading posts from you Zim in the past and I knew you use to hunt Illinois quite heavily. I totally understand your frustration. Unfortunately I don't have the time and money to bowhunt other states besides Illinois. I am actually thinking of starting a blog or website with info on politicians, legislature etc that is updated regularly. Would anyone be interested?
Old 12-17-2013, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

All you can do is get involved.

One thing that most don't do though is they get involved in politics which is great and all but they don't get involved in the States wildlife commission. Most of these commissions are setup and do have public meetings where they hear from people, members from communities can be elected to advisory boards which could be you if you learn the process and show you can be an asset. Most of the top personnel are governor appointed. You gotta learn this side as this is the side that is directly related to your hunting future. There will be state regulatory groups and then there will be federally managed groups. By groups i mean species but alot of times the same group deals with multiple species.

So my advice is learn the process through and through. Get involved. Learn how to submit a petition to the regulation committee who determines new regulations on species by information provided by the advisory boards. Its a big process but if you don't get involved then you cant complain in my opinion.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

I agree hole heartedly, I rarely hunt in this state only because of the camp that I would go to in Shawnee is inhabited with Obama loving a$&hats. Also because they are Cardinal fans but that is beside my point. (Thanks Boston)
1) State Farm based out of Illinois
2) Allstate based out of Illinois
3) Dailey machine runs this state, which includes various Republicans(George Ryan) on the dole of payouts.
4) Illinois does a poor job of promoting Hunting and trapping in general.
5) We will always be an anti gun state because of our media. Regardless of our recently pass conceal carry law.
Down state needs to really voice this issue to overcome the Chicago suburbs.

Last edited by Rob1969; 12-17-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:42 AM
Spike

Here is a link to an interesting article I found on Crain's Chicago Business:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...ON/130529803/#

Below are the voter turnout rates for the 2010 Illinois general election:

Cook county: 52.7% (64.4% - Quinn; 28.6% - Brady)
Dupage county: 51.6% (54.3% - Brady; 38.6% - Quinn)
Lake county: 51.3% (50.1% - Brady; 42.4% - Quinn)
Will county: 53.0% (50.3% - Brady; 41.0% - Quinn)
Kane county: 49.6% (53.8% - Brady; 38.2% - Quinn)
Rest of the counties - 48.1%

Average turnout rate: 50.5% (46.8% - Quinn; 46.0% - Brady)

So when you look at the numbers, it really boils down to not enough people in the rest of the state voting. Maybe what we really should be concentrating on is getting everyone one we know registered, knowledgeable, and to the voting stations on election days.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Maybe we need to a "National Take An Elderly Conservitive to the Polls Day"!!!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

We need to have a "NATIONAL TAKE AN ELDERLY CONSERVITIVE TO THE POLLS DAY"!!!
We need to get the vote out.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Spike

I think a lot of people don't vote because they have no idea who the canidates are and what they stand for. I know I've been guilty of that in the past. That was why I thought it might be good to start a website or blog with political information related to sportsman in Illinois.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.