Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
NE IL Dove, Squirrel, Early Goose >

NE IL Dove, Squirrel, Early Goose

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

NE IL Dove, Squirrel, Early Goose

Old 08-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Spike

Default NE IL Dove, Squirrel, Early Goose

Anyone going out this weekend? Public land or private? My plans for the weekend just got cancelled, so I'm trying to plan something. Has anyone dove hunted any of the public land around Chicago and have any advice for a noob? (Noob to dove hunting, anyway).

Last edited by paulkucz; 08-27-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

I'll be taking a shot at Silver Springs (a buddy & I drew permits); but it will only be my second attempt at dove hunting in my life. Matthiesen has a good reputation. I assume opening day is crowded, and I have no idea how hard it is to walk on. There are some sites where they don't pre-draw permits, might wanna try one of those (Shabbona comes to mind, I'm sure there are others). Remeber, I'm a dove noob too, so take this for whatever it's worth, lol. And, if you are trying to walk on, I would think the farther you are from Chicago, the better your odds of getting on.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:15 AM
Spike

Default public land

Hey guys, im new to the forum by like 15 minutes now. I will hitting up a public spot for my first dove hunting experience. Im from lake county so i am gonna try out by the grand river shooting range.

Good luck to ya.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not familiar with the Grand River Shooting Range. Is that a private range or a game farm??
Old 08-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a new one to me as well. Thought I knew every gun range around too. Where in Lake County is it? Born and raised there and always looking for a gun range in that area.