Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Any IL Hunters been to Starved Rock? >

Any IL Hunters been to Starved Rock?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Any IL Hunters been to Starved Rock?

Old 04-21-2013, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bugproof, I've been out of town all weekend hanging stands where I hunt so I haven't had much time to really look over the map yet.

A little known secret is that googlemaps has a topo map that you can use when you are looking at the areas you pull up. I'm going to have to go back and figure out how I did it before but its a great function because you can adjust how transparent it is so you can see the lines and the aerial maps.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

I USED A SMOOTH BORE FOR YEARS AND IS PRETTY GOOD OUT TO 100 YDS. if your in the timber your shots will be mainly under 50 yrd. Practice with it and if you feel you can make that shot go with it. If you have cash to burn then go get a slug gun, like the savage 220f.Crazzzzy accurate out past 200yrds. time in the woods will be your best teacher. And don't always think that the deer are in the deep woods ,I hunted a big public ground that had tons of open prairie grass and that's where I know of some huge bucks were killed. Try Madewin or desplains I have killed deer at both.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

Depending on what kind of shot gun you have, there may be some after-market barrels available. A friend of mine bought a Mossberg produced barrel for his 870 very reasonable and it works fine. Depending on the gun, a cantilevered barrel (integral scope mount) may be available and is a superior set up.
IMHO, if your going to be hunting in Illinois the rest of your life and can afford it, might as well buy the rifled barrel/gun. Smooth bore will work fine; rifled is superior (but also more expensive to shoot).
Old 04-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Murdy
Smooth bore will work fine; rifled is superior (but also more expensive to shoot).
Yeah sabot slugs for my rifled mossberg are about $3 a shot for 2 3/4". My wallet is hurting after sighting it in.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stratomaster18
Yeah sabot slugs for my rifled mossberg are about $3 a shot for 2 3/4". My wallet is hurting after sighting it in.
But when you drill a nice buck through the vitals instead of a gut shot, its all worth it. At least thats what I tell myself. An extra $15 on the range or an extra 4 hours in the woods blood trailing.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Spike

Thanks guys. I've got a scope on the way that I'm going to mount. I have a mossberg 535. I've got the turkey/waterfowl combo. I'm going to give rifled slugs a try. Might still get the rifled barrel with integral scope base, if finances allow.

Anyway, hoping to get out to starved rock this weekend. With the grounds being so saturated, might see some good tracks. Still waiting for lottery results, I think they come soon.

I'm thinking, for my first hunt, I'll try a ground blind. I've been looking at google maps, but, since I've never been there before, not sure what I'm looking at...

I'm going to try to talk with park workers to see what direction they point me in, then ill start planning. Plenty of time, so I'm sure ill have a ton of questions.

You guys have been great. Wish I could get out there with one of you to get some hands on mentoring.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would be good to get out there in the next few weeks. With all the rain, any tracks there will be fresh and you should still be able to see some rubs from last year. You really have to think like a deer (ya, it sounds stupid) but if you think of how you would escape from danger and where you would run you usually can figure out a few spots. With the vast expanse of terrain features, I would concentrate anywhere from the top 1/3 of ridges to the top. It will help keep you scent from swirling in those canyons. I'm not sure if your physically fit but if you can get a ways back and have can drag out a deer if you shoot one way back there it can really help your odds. If you go back 3/4 mile of so make sure to pick up one of those kids two person sleds. If you shoot a deer, its a lot easier to drag one out on those. I've never been there but if there are any smaller thickets of cedars or such, really keep an eye on those. Everyone tries to hunt the big expansive areas of heavy cover so deer usually figure those spots out pretty quick and focus on the small thick areas to bed. I can't tell you how many big bucks I've kicked up rabbit and pheasant hunting in areas that could barely hold a rabbit. Think where people really wouldn't want to go and wouldn't think there would be deer and that is going to be the spot. If you have any question or take any pictures, feel free to post them and I'm sure people will help the best they can.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:46 AM
Fork Horn

I wish I had more time and I would go walk with you, but with my sons Hockey and trying to get all my stuff done at our farm time is real tight .Also keep your eyes open for morels if you go out this weekend and some sheds that haven't been found .Don't know the regs but the turkey hunters my have the woods till 1pm ???Better check before you go... good luck and let us know what you find !
Old 04-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Spike

I took the day off today and went on my first scout. A lot of the park is still closed because of the floods. I first went to the visitor center.. Got a hunters information packet and went on my way. First, I went to a parking area east on the 71. Found some fresh track.. But didn't like the location. Then, I went to the nature preserve... They are renovating a grove/farming field... Found track where they were coming out to feed and started my stalk...
I followed a set of prints into the woods.. It looked like 3 deer were moving on the trail... Then it branched off. Two went left, one went right... I followed the lone set.. I was quiet, then moved a branch to get und and a deer jumped up and took off!! It was 10 feet away, I jumped it out of bed. All I saw was the blur of tan and white, so couldn't tell what it was. I'd like to think it was a buck, probably a young one, the bed area wasn't that big.

Anyway.. I hiked out a little and sat by a tree. I could hear it circling trying to get downwind of me, so I went ahead and left.

On the way out, I found a pile of bones, took the skull home to my son.

Fun day and very encouraging seeing i got that close on my first ever stalk. I think I found the lot I want to hunt
Old 04-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great to hear! I think finding that dead deer (Doe I assume) is a good sign for you. If she was a wounded deer, that is an area the deer like to go and hide. How far off the road were you? Far enough where the other hunters won't be all over you? If you jumped a single deer running alone right now, I think its pretty good odds that its a buck. Give it a few weeks here and you'll start to get an idea of his antlers. It won't be a great idea but at least an idea.

If you want to PM me the GPS coordinates (you can get them off google earth) I'll check it out for you. Don't worry, I'm not trying to steal your spot but I'll give you my opinion. I actually was looking at the map and found a spot that may be very overlooked but will hold some deer. Let me know!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.