Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Any IL Hunters been to Starved Rock? >

Any IL Hunters been to Starved Rock?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Any IL Hunters been to Starved Rock?

Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 PM
Spike

Default Any IL Hunters been to Starved Rock?

I'm a new hunter. This deer season will be my first time. Already in the lottery for first part of the season at Starved Rock. Been reading like crazy (no one to teach me), watching video, etc... Learned quite a bit. But, I'm wondering if anyone has ever hunted Starved Rock? Any pointers? Still hunting or tree stand?
I'm not out for a buck yet. Starved Rick is Earn a buck. I'm looking to hunt for meat and, as I understand, doe meat is better anyway. Maybe after I get some notches in my belt, I'll try for a buck.
Anyway, if anyone can give me advice to help make my first hunt a successful one, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Have not hunted that park but have hunted several others in the area. First I would go down there and get a map of the open areas to hunt. Then get on google maps and look over the area and look for some natural pinch points or funnels that the deer may follow. Try to getaway he parking area as fare s you can. These deer will get smart real fast with all the people in the woods after the first few weeks. My opinion your best shot will be out of a stand. Get a climber ,they are fast and light. Go down and walk the woods that you want to hunt look for those spots you found on the map .Look for trails, beds ,old rubs and scrapes these will tell you that the deer were using these areas during the season. Try to find a place that's easy to access in the dark.Try and t up off the trails about 15yds r more.If you can find where seveal trails cross even better. Creek crossings can be great but the wind in the bottoms can be hard to predict. will see what I can find out about that park ???
Old 04-17-2013, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

Also go down there now before the leaves are on the trees and you can find the sign better. Also if you can find trails that go to food .corn,beans ect.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Spike

Thank you Muzzy
Old 04-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never hunted it but have heard a little bit about it. Gun season permits are sometimes a little tough to pull but so many people forget about the drawing so at least your in the hunt. Did you put any sites in as your second choice.

I have done a decent amount of public land hunting and enjoy trying to help people get a deer, especially newbies. Getting far away from the road is usually a great bet, but there are often times to hunt near the road. I'll try and take a look at the Starved Rock map here in the next week and see how it looks. Ive been there in the past but don't remember to much, I was pretty young when I was there. There are deer there and some big bucks, you just have to outsmart the bucks and the other hunters, which is possible. I'm amazed on how many big bucks I see while pheasant hunting these State parks, they grow big because they thick different than the 1.5 year and 2.5 year old bucks that get shot every year. Mature does are the same way. Let me know if you want some help looking for spots and I'll google earth the area and cross check it with topi maps to see if I can see any spots that look good.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

I have hunted Starved Rock a fair amount over the past few years. As you probably know, a Starved Rock permit is also good for Matthiesen, Sandy Ford, and Mitchell's Grove. Starved Rock and Matthiesen are a little different than most public land sites, as they are spread out along the Illinois and Vermillion Rivers, respectively. They are both relatively long and narrow, with lots of parking lots, so there's not a lot of areas where you can go to get away from the parking lots. But, the park regulates the number of hunters allowed out in each lot (about 3-5 for most lots), so while you will see other hunters, it won't be terribly crowded. This complicates things a bit though, as if you show up late (i.e., right before 5 a.m.), the lot you want may be full -- so it behooves you to have a few options just in case (and also to get there early -- first time I was there, I went in blind, picked lot 26 based on internet scouting, and, as it turns out, there is a huge ravine right behind 26). Several areas contain what they call "canyons," which are basically steep ravines, which can limit access a bit. This is especially true of the eastern side (from the lodge) of Starved Rock, but also elsewhere. (Every now and then, someone falls into a canyon, so don't go wandering around before sun-up in an area where you have not scouted).
Starved Rock is not the hardest tag to draw in the area (I've pulled it as a second choice before). And, after the first couple days, you can usually walk on (though it may limit your choice of parking lots), so you should be able to get back on second season if you care to. You definitely need to do some scouting and get familiar with a few areas.
Sandy Ford and Mitchell's Grove are a little awkward -- about 200 acres each. SF has rough terrain, though if you get past it, might be interesting (you can also hunt squirrels there in August & September, so makes for a fun scouting trip. MG is a long walk though a narrow access corridor.
If you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM.

Last edited by Murdy; 04-17-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Oh yeah, as for tree stands, you can't set them up in advance or leave them overnight, so a climber works best. I hunt off the ground there. If by still hunting, you mean moving around, it might be tough due to the limited area and rough terrain and other hunters. I usually just take a stand on the ground.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Spike

This post has been very helpful to me already, as I am also deer hunting for the first time in the fall and was planning on starved rock as well.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to check out the parks around Oregon, Castle Rock or Lowden Miller. Always a ton of deer in that area. We drive through Oregon on the way to our property.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Spike

I was going to try and get out ther tomorrow with my son to start scouting. But, the rains and flooding have pushed that back... I plan on talking with the park workers for some advice and see if they may have a topographical map of the area.

Fastetti, I would love some more advice on location.

Glad to hear its regulated enough to keep the pressure down a little. I was concerned I might go out and find it crawling with hunters.

Let me ask... I am still debating using my smoothbore with rifled slugs and open sights. Or would I be better off buying the rifled barrel and scope, using sabots in this area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.