Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Odd Ohio Muzzle loading season dates? >

Odd Ohio Muzzle loading season dates?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Odd Ohio Muzzle loading season dates?

Old 12-29-2012, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Odd Ohio Muzzle loading season dates?

Whats up with such an odd Muzzle-loading season this year in Ohio? Wednesday through Saturday... no Sunday? Last year wasn't it Friday through Monday?
Old 12-30-2012, 12:48 AM
Typical Buck

Angry

ohio muzzleloading season is from sat jan 5 2013 thru tues jan 8 2013 & for the past 3 years it has been the first saturday in january & runs 4 consective days in a row. saying that they need to return it to between christmas like it has been for about 10 yrs from 12/27/ thru 12/30 odnr says it's change was to let deer calm down from extened gun season but the truth is it is to let game wardens spend time with there family. so theres seems to be alot of poaching during that time in my area & maybe they can explain why youth season is just 7 days before regular gun season. deer are still restless on opening day of gun season. maybe thats why our opening day of gun season deer kills have been on the decline , like by 20-25%

Last edited by t.shaffer; 12-30-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Then what the heck was I looking at?

I agree though, an earlier season would be nice, but I don't see it happening. It seems (atleast around here) muzzle loading is a dieing art.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
Then what the heck was I looking at?

I agree though, an earlier season would be nice, but I don't see it happening. It seems (atleast around here) muzzle loading is a dieing art.
Well it looks like the 2 day weekend gun hunt will be history possibly next year, per the Outdoor News. I find it interesting they are thinking of adding a doe only muzzelloader weekend in October. I think that would be great. I purchased the muzzeloader instead of the slug gun just because it afforded me greater opportunitites.

CVG Ohio
Old 01-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Why are they doing away with the two day extended season? I hope they don't, I typically spend the shotgun week in PA rifle hunting. So that two day season was the gun season I've been hunting in OH. I usually try to get my ohio deer with a bow, but that season was nice for when I had tags left.
-Jake
Old 01-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

odnr is claiming that the deer are still restless when it comes to the extended gun season! my ? is why in the he!! do they have youth season 7 days before regular gun season i"m telling you the deer are still skidish when it comes to regular gun season a week later. but i"m for a 2 day early muzzy season for anterless deer. & another ? is why did they ever have a early muzzy season @ 3 state parks, there are not anymore deer there than statewide. imo odnr needs to revamp deer season in ohio. before it becomes another pa style of hunting.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

The state parks thing was to harvest more deer in that area to prevent over population. I can shoot skittish deer, I'm not really worried about that.. I would support an early muzzy season I suppose. What do you mean by "PA style of hunting?" The "brown it's down" mentality?
-Jake
Old 01-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

basically you hardly see anything in pa worth shooting anymore. our ohio deer are something to shoot at & look who"s getting more out of state hunters.& about over population at salt fork i used to see @ least 50-60 deer during muzzy season & now i'm lucky to see 5 all week & another thing why are all the local landowners bitching about not see any deer , due to the over kill @ saltfork sp. used to be a lovely place to hunt & now it's just a waste of gas to go there, lovely senery but no deer.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Why are they doing away with the two day extended season? I hope they don't, I typically spend the shotgun week in PA rifle hunting. So that two day season was the gun season I've been hunting in OH. I usually try to get my ohio deer with a bow, but that season was nice for when I had tags left.
-Jake
Here is the link: the part about the 2 day gun weekend is in the bottom of the article.

http://www.outdoornews.com/January-2013/

CVG Ohio
Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Link didn't work for me.
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.