Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Opening day in Wisconsin... >

Opening day in Wisconsin...

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Opening day in Wisconsin...

Old 11-21-2012, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default Opening day in Wisconsin...

I took one of my internet friends (Jeff) and his two boys out with me this year for opening weekend of public marsh hunting. Luke had never shot a deer, so our focus was on getting him some shooting... On the 1st drive 2 does jumped up before we were in position. I new Dave was wanting to tag a doe to get a buck sticker for late bow So I floated some lead in that direction and knocked down a very big doe for Dave ( party hunting is legal here )
On the next drive we had a doe sneak out and try tip toeing under Jeff's stand, that was a mistake, cause he blew it to pieces... LITERALLY :yikesgif I don't know what he is shooting, but I wank to stay on the right side of that gun for sure!
We only got 3 drives done cause of how long it takes to get the deer out of the marsh...
On the 3rd (and final) drive of the day, Luke got the best spot. Me and Dave pushed. Dave kicked up one lone deer and at 1st it headed for Jeffs other son (Josh) but then veered and went thru a gap. I jumped a couple and they headed straight for Luke. I heard 5 shots ring out and then Luke announced on the radio " I got em both!"
Pretty good shooting, cause he is using a 20 gauge shotgun with iron sights and one deer was on his right, one on his left, and both running full tilt thru heavy cover...
Luke got his 1st and second deer within seconds of each other.
Josh never got a shot unfortunately... But thats public land hunting... They love venison, so we gave them all of the deer. Looks like they will be eating deer meat all year.

I think we need to change Luke's forum name to "Killer"

Old 11-21-2012, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

On Sunday we found boot prints in most of the spots but on the last drive of the evening we jumped a great buck... It was really wide racked. Unfortunately it back doored us right between the drivers leaving a cloud of cattail dust.
The last couple days its been just me and Dave and all we have produced is does... Its hard to drive cattails with just 2 guys.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats. Lots of good eating there.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Good for you, getting the youngin his 1st deer.

Congrats!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like a great hunt, Congrats!