Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Squirrels in WI? >

Squirrels in WI?

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Squirrels in WI?

Old 11-10-2012, 02:59 AM
Spike

Default Squirrels in WI?

Hey guys, brand new hunter this year. Looking forward to the gun deer season next week, have a stand and some private land hoping for the best there. What I'm looking for now is some insider info, me and a friend both took hunters safety this year, trying to get in to squirrel hunting as it seems like it should be somewhat easier. So far we have been pretty much skunked (I shot 1 red squirrel just because I needed to kill something but I'm looking for greys). We both have off for November 26-28 and we're going to be out looking for squirrels. We're willing to travel and get a hotel room in the area so we can be in the area at dawn, just looking for good advice on public land with some squirrel action anywhere in the state. We're from the fox cities area but from what I can tell our best options are south and west. Any help you can give us on finding some fertile grounds is appreciated.

Keep in mind the days we are looking to go is during muzzleloader season and we'd prefer an area not completely overrun by deer hunters.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think most oak forest in Wisconsin should have grey squirrels. I live and hunt in Chippewa co. and I have seen a ton of grey squirrels in the county forest.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

I agree WIbuckchaser, there are a ton of acorns this year and some are the size of golf balls.. I don't think you would have to travel to find squirrels, all you need to find is oak ridges and you will find squirrels and lot's of them. I hunt oak ridges, private and public for deer and all year I have kept saying I don't remember ever seeing so many squirrels... Good luck, find the acorns and they will come....