Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Pistol During Shotgun Season >

Pistol During Shotgun Season

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Pistol During Shotgun Season

Old 09-09-2003, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Pistol During Shotgun Season

What do you guys think about this?

Illinois Department of Natural Resources
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 29, 2003

Regulations Being Developed Allowing Use of Handguns During Illinois Firearm Deer Season

SPRINGFIELD, ILL. - The Illinois Department of Natural Resources will allow the use of handguns during the firearm deer hunting season in the state this fall, Director Joel Brunsvold said today.

“We’re excited about this expansion of outdoor recreation opportunity in Illinois,” Brunsvold said. “Regulations are being drafted allowing handgun use during the firearm season.”

A change in state law adds handguns to the already authorized use of shotguns and muzzleloading rifles as allowable firearms for hunters to use during the state’s firearm deer hunting season.

More details on the new regulations will be announced this fall. The 2003 firearm deer hunting season in Illinois is Nov. 21-23 and Dec. 4-7.

Illinois also continues to provide additional firearm deer hunting opportunities through a muzzleloader-only season scheduled for Dec. 12-14 and a handgun-only season in select counties scheduled for Jan. 16-18, 2004.

Old 09-09-2003, 04:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Pistol During Shotgun Season

Sounds like a fine idea if it works .
Does Il. mandate a Hunter Safety Course for potential pistol hunters ?
Do they need a permit to carry other than a hunting license ?
Pistol hunting is legal here , and I understand there are some differences in our gun and hunting laws .

I would gladly support such a law as it would provide more hunting opportunity for a greater number of people . A pistol of large enough caliber is capable of cleanly taking large game , which makes it ethical in my book .
Old 09-09-2003, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

The gun permits are by lottery. I dont have a problem with it in my mind they have to choose what gun to use with their permit.

I do wonder what the real picture is on this. Our Gov who wanted to raise the FOID cards, and who seems to not like handguns passed this with no problem.

IL Bowman, i could have fit in your trunk when you went out west Elk huntin!!!!

Old 09-10-2003, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

My only problem with this is people maybe carrying both shotgun and pistol. When they get done ripping off 3 shots at running deer they are going to pull out the pistol and let loose with 6 more. We have enough doinks running around here wounding the deer the way it is and I just don' t think this will help matters.

Hey don, I am sure a lot of people would have been willing to do that.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

its been allowed for a few years in iowa. i have heard of no problems here. i carry my .357 durring both shotgun and muzzleloader seasons
Old 09-10-2003, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

It' s been allowed in Ohio for a while also. In fact, my dad used to shoot a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag for deer.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can you guys carry both the sidearm and the shotgun?

Just curioius
Old 09-10-2003, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

I didnt really think about carrying both guns. I asumed they would allow you to carry one, or the other.

Should be interesting to see what the rules will be on this.

I can see it now...............Ok buck.......did i fire 5 shots? or six?? Do you feel lucky???????

Il Bowman, just enjoyed your Elk story as i have withdrawl symtoms. this time last year i was getting ready to head out and hunt with Articbowman in MT.

Old 09-10-2003, 09:24 PM

You can carry both in Indiana.[8D]
Old 09-11-2003, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

I' m not sure on the regulations in Ohio anymore. Dad never did ... he only carried the revolver. I' m not sure why you would want to carry both though ... that could be a significant amount of extra weight, especially if you have a thick-framed revolver with a scope. Plus, I really don' t see the need for 11 shots (5-shotgun, 6-revolver). I' ve never needed that many when I lived and hunted up there.

Quick Reply: Pistol During Shotgun Season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.