Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Best days to bowhunt in Illinois? >

Best days to bowhunt in Illinois?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Best days to bowhunt in Illinois?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Spike

Default Best days to bowhunt in Illinois?

I am from Michigan and I have fell upon a large tract of land in Crawford county Illinois and I will have one week to bowhunt it this coming season. From my experience hunting Michigan and Ohio it seems that the best time to be in the woods for me has religiously been from Nov. 5th to the 12th and this was when I was planning on heading down to give it a try. I was wondering if anyone could lend some advice to what they believe would be the best 7 days for this county? Also is this county a good county for trophy bucks? Thanks to all.

Last edited by sta3333; 03-05-2012 at 11:16 AM. Reason: added question
Old 03-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

Very good week and one of the best counties in IL.

Good luck!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Spike

very good week. ive got a week of vacation scheduled for the 5th thru the 12 as well not sure about the county tho never hunted there.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Spike

I have heard some very good things from the land owner about quality and very little hunting pressure in the surrounding area. Crossing my fingers, I guess you cannot go wrong with river bottom surrounded by crops. Good Luck to all!!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sta3333
I have heard some very good things from the land owner about quality and very little hunting pressure in the surrounding area. Crossing my fingers, I guess you cannot go wrong with river bottom surrounded by crops. Good Luck to all!!
I hunt the same type of set up in Illinois. I think anything past Halloween is Prime time. I'm trying to decide on the first week in November or second week right now. I think both are going to be really good but want to give the land I hunt at least 5 days of rest before gun season.

Last year we had a really weird rut where I hunt in Illinois and no one really saw a clear "Great" week. I'm hoping this year it might be a little more noticeable. When I see bucks still chasing in the middle of January, you know something was a little nuts.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Spike

Crawford is a great county to whitetail hunt,decent trophy potental,The best time to bowhunt is the 2 weeks before shotgun season.Peak of the rut,just before lock-down.