Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Illinois Deer Firearm Draw Results >

Illinois Deer Firearm Draw Results

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois Deer Firearm Draw Results

Old 06-02-2011, 05:27 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Default Illinois Deer Firearm Draw Results

Draw results just posted on the resident deer inquiry site.

For the first time ever I drew both my 1st choices, JEPC shotgun, Midewin muzzleloader. Now watch I'll probably tag two during archery season!

Last edited by Zim; 06-03-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good, congrats! I struck out on JEPC this year but I'm happy with my second choice.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Do you pick 2 high quality units each year or a lesser one for 2nd choice? I sure wish ILDNR would post stats so a guy could plan better. I normally pick something I know I can draw 2nd choice so I got something. My buddy drew Site M once in 10 tries. I drew it 3/4 tries. What about you? I should put a poll together and get a consensus.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

To question 1....Yes. We drew sight M 2 out of the last 3 years. Just lucky I guess.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got my tags for Fulton County, pretty excited for fall. I always had such bad luck drawing any public land anywhere near Chicago. Never once did I get public land tags. Even last year at COL I didn't draw and the DNR out there said that he heard almost everyone drew that he talked to for Slug Gun. I guess I wasn't too upset when I was there after the gun season and saw out of the 40 or so people they only took 8 deer (2 Bucks and does) and since it's earn a buck that means only 6 people got deer.

Good luck with JEPC, looks like a pretty great area to hunt. I'm sure there are some BIG deer out there. I'd be curious to see how many deer they get out of there a year. When are you allowed to scout out there, only up until the end of September? I know some spots only let you scout until a certain time which is a few months before the season starts.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

fastetti,

I don't know many public areas that don't allow scouting year round. JTA is one. Ya any of the public near Chicago is very tough to draw. I was more surprised I drew Midewin than Site M. I've had much better opportunities during archery than gun season anyway. But these are nice to have for insurance. Better than sitting at home those weekends.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Zim,
I tried to Get Midewin 5 or so years ago and had no luck. I was surprised I didn't get the chain last year but after seeing the numbers it didn't look like I missed much. I know they don't let you scout past early October for deer at the Chain due to pheasant hunting but there is no rule for getting your pheasant permits and walking the areas you were planning on deer hunting and looking for birds. Some of the best bird spots I've found have been full of deer sign.

I've always said late October to the first day of gun season is a great time to bow hunt in Illinois. Deer are moving everywhere and not a lot of people in the woods as gun season. I love bow hunting but the opening day of gun season is still my favorite day of the year. Something about hearing that first shot opening morning that brings a smile to my face.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

are all the draws over? is there only one?

can you bow hunt during the shotgun season? and if so, must you have a bow tag or a gun tag? ie is the gun tag a any weapon tag? or how does that work if you wanted to bowhunt during the gun seasons?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
are all the draws over? is there only one?

can you bow hunt during the shotgun season? and if so, must you have a bow tag or a gun tag? ie is the gun tag a any weapon tag? or how does that work if you wanted to bowhunt during the gun seasons?
Saluki,

You still have plenty of time to get a gun tag, especially for private land. The next drawing is in August and is for non-residents, people who didn't apply for first draw or didn't get drawn. As long as your going for a county tag you should still be able to draw one in August. I think Pope and maybe a small number may run out during the next drawing. In September there is a daily drawing for all remaining tags and a good amount of tags are still available for that, especially antlerless. I'll be picking up an extra one or two then as well.

Unfortunately, unless you are in a county immediately surrounding Chicago that doesn't allow gun hunting you are not allowed to bow hunt during the gun season. I know people are on both sides about this law. Hope this helps!
Old 06-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Anyone get your permits in the mail yet? I got my muzzleloader 2 weeks ago, but still no firearm permit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.