Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
What to use coyote hunting >

What to use coyote hunting

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

What to use coyote hunting

Old 01-30-2011, 11:47 AM
g13
Spike

Default What to use coyote hunting

I WOULD LIKE TO GET OUT COYOTE HUNTING NOT SURE WHAT TO USE ONLY THIN I EVER SHOT IS A BB GUN, .22, AND 20 GAUGE SLUG WOULD IT BE GOOD TO USE A 20 GAUGE SLUG COYOTE HUNTING COULD I USE IT FOX AND RABBIT HUNTING OR IS THAT AN OVER KILL
Old 02-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If You use Buck-shot in the shotgun it was make a good close-in shot on Coyotes and Foxes.Personally I would use a .243,.223 or go a little smaller with a .220 Swift,.22 Hornet or a .204 for Varmint Hunting.I use my Browning bolt-action .243 Rifle,my Buddy just bought a Savage Axis in .223 and my other Predator Hunting Partner uses the .22 Hornet in a Ruger bolt-action Rifle.Some guys use a .22 magnum for Foxes,Bobcats and Coyotes.Another popular Varmint Rifle is the 22-250,its a faster bullet that shots further out for using in more open area's.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Spike

like GTOHunter said use buck shot on your shotgun for close up shots. if your really wanting to reach out and get a coyote id suggest a 22-250, or .223. those are the most used. alot of pple use .243 and love it. i hav a .308 wich is a little overkill. but if your wanting to save the pelts and sell them id suggest anything smaller that my .308. also if your really wanting to get into coyote hunting ur gonna need a little more than just the gun, like calls, camo, scent killer or cover scent. coyotes have great eye site and even better smell.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coyote Hunting takes some practice,as Firefighter mentioned it would help in getting some gear for Predator Hunting in general.Some items You may already have just from Hunting other Game Animals such as Deer,Turkeys,Antelope Elk etc..!

Shotgun with buck shot or a smaller caliber Rifle if your going to keep the pelt,have it mounted or give it away to a Trapper?
Camo Clothes
Predator Calls (misc mouth calls)
Electronic Callers (this can get as expensive as You want to go)
Scent-free washing detergents and Scent-killer sprays
Misc Decoys,like the foam Rabbits,full-size Flambeau Coyote decoy,Mojo decoys that move,wiggle or shake,HS Feather on a foldable stick for a visual attractor
Cover Scents,Fox Urine,Coyote Urine,Skunk Urine etc....!

You can go as far as You want to Hunt Coyotes/Predators or as cheap as possible,the main thing to remember is a Coyote uses its keen eye sight and sense of smell to detect what they are hunting and what is out there hunting them so You need to sit still,hunt the wind and stay as scent-free as possible when hunting them.

Last edited by GTOHunter; 02-13-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Their is not a bad way to dispose of the coyote or wild hog. Oh, I got an idea. Let's trap all the coyotes and wild hogs and give free delivery to all the tree huggers and see if they really like them. LOL Jim

Last edited by Jim Williams; 02-13-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:32 PM
g13
Spike

all those guns are great the only one i could use is the .243 its my brothers how much would a 22-250 cost
Old 02-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well a .243 would be ideal if You went with a lighter grain bullet...I'm using 100 grain Hornady's but an ideal bullet would be a 45,50 or 60 grain bullet in my opinion!

If You want a 22-250 that is reasonably priced I highly reccomend the Savage Edge (Now called Axis) in the Camo Combo Package with the Bushnell 3x9X40mm adjustable scope,it has the lower detachable clip under it and its a great looking Rifle that shots well and is afforable!I've seen them sell for around $329.00 with the scope package and less if You buy it in the Black Synthetic Stock without a scope...probably around $250.00 Range?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
Well a .243 would be ideal if You went with a lighter grain bullet...I'm using 100 grain Hornady's but an ideal bullet would be a 45,50 or 60 grain bullet in my opinion!

If You want a 22-250 that is reasonably priced I highly reccomend the Savage Edge (Now called Axis) in the Camo Combo Package with the Bushnell 3x9X40mm adjustable scope,it has the lower detachable clip under it and its a great looking Rifle that shots well and is afforable!I've seen them sell for around $329.00 with the scope package and less if You buy it in the Black Synthetic Stock without a scope...probably around $250.00 Range?
im guessing that you have that 22-250
Old 03-04-2011, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

I use a 257 Roberts and is a nice flat shooting gun with more then enough stopping power