Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

WI Success?

Old 10-08-2010, 06:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default WI Success?

Just wondering if any WI guys are having any success. I see doe's every night, but didn't want to take one out until I had harvest done. The only shooter buck I have seen was 100 yards away munching on turnips.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Been very slow thus far. No horns spotted yet, but the trail cams are showing that they are there.

This weekend was a total waste - so dang hot, but too much water around to even sit over a water hole.

Next weekend is ruined with the Antlerless only hunt, so it will be another two weeks before I get a chance at the bucks again.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Oct. 5th. S.E. Wisconsin
The wind was perfect for a bedding area I have been wanting to hunt up against. Me and my hunting buddy Dave have been after a big 8 pointer that has been bedding here every year now for about four or five years... Needless to say he is getting pretty old. Every year we only see him one or twice, but its enough to keep us interested.
Where I wanted to set up was the back side of the bedding point cause this year there is no food to the front side. It is really tough getting back there cause its access is a ridge of timber with dry leaves and tons of dry branches. I really took my time and carefully placed every step and looked ahead planning my rought to the tree I needed to be in.
The tree was only about 45 yards from the buck bed.
The bed was in high grass and briars along a swamp transition line.
I got the stand hung as quiet as possible and climbed in to wait.
Nothing but squirrels and a big fat raccoon moved thru.
Then with only about 15 minutes of light, I heard the buck rise from his bed and start to move in the grass. I got ready, but then it sounded like he was heading off the other way. I heard something behind me and glanced over to see the coon still hanging around and when I glanced back over the big 8 pointer was standing broadside in an opening 25 yards away. His tines are much shorter this year, but his rack is massive and very heavy. I drew the bow and settled the pin behind the shoulder and just started touching off the trigger on the release when he turned in my direction and started walking straight at me. Then he turned to his left into some thick cover and started working over a tree at about 20 yards. He worked on that poor tree / bush for a long time, maybe a couple minutes. Light was fading fast and I was getting worried when he finally stepped away from the tree and started heading towards me again.
Two more steps and he would of been dead, but at 10 yards he froze just before an opening I could shoot him at. Then suddenly he bolted.
The wind had changed and my low set up blew my stank right to him.
As he trotted away, I whistled and almost got him to stop in a shooting lane... But, he stopped just the other side. I think I saw him smile as he flicked his tail and walked away.
I just might shed a tear if I ever do kill that old beast.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

Lotsa bucks on camera, but none when hunting. It's just too hot now to hunt,so I'll waite till it cools back down.

Last edited by mr.mc54; 10-11-2010 at 06:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haven't seen a deer yet.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Had to let a 130 class 13 pointer go because I didn't have a buck tag.(Not happy about that) Seen twice as many bucks as does and finally starting to get pictures of the big boys on scrapes.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

It has been very warm and seems around here the shooters are coming out late. I see a lot of doe's and small bucks on stand. All the big one are on tral cam only. It's cooling down now so we'll see.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

Shot a doe in the 4 day antlerless gun hunt here in the CWD zone. Finally got my buck tag!
Old 10-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Fork Horn

Apparently that's a nice 12 running around out by me, arrow in him from last year and all, but no pics of him on my trail cam.

Haven't seen any real nice bucks on cam or anywhere around where I'm at. Haven't seen any signs of rut so hopefully once it starts they'll start pushin around.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

Saw a couple of bucks running around the fields yesterday around 10:30 am, and found 2 fresh scrapes made within 24 hours of finding them. Seems to be a lot of bucks moving around and not many does. Should make for an interesting rut. This was in Brown County.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.