Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Good Place to Deer Hunt, Eastern Missouri >

Good Place to Deer Hunt, Eastern Missouri

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Good Place to Deer Hunt, Eastern Missouri

Old 07-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Spike

Default Good Place to Deer Hunt, Eastern Missouri

I just moved to Missouri from Georgia, Saint Louis County to be exact. I NEVER miss a deer season but I have no idea where to go around here lol. I don't have any hunting contacts here so I figured I'd ask on here before I went scouting on my own.

Seeing that I just moved, I don't really want to spend the money on anything private this season so I guess I'm just looking for a good WMA for now. Any advice is greatly appreciated guys, thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Spike

Most any public areas in the NE are good, the further north you go the better. Here is DOC map: http://mdcgis.mdc.mo.gov/website/sta...lor/viewer.asp
Old 07-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

If you're looking for bowhunting.....Howell Island is in the Chesterfield Valley right on the MO river. It's bowhunting only and can get a fair amount of pressure. You just have to walk a mile or more to get away from most people. If you have a mountain bike and can pack your stand and bow, that works great. Access can be a problem if the river is up.

I killed my avatar buck there in 2006; a 154" 10 point. That same year I saw another 160 class 10 point and an 8 point in the mid 130's. There was also a 190" gross 15 point killed there in 2006. A buddy of mine killed a mid-140's 11 point in 2007.

There are big deer there.

Good luck.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Howell is a great spot, but there has been zero chance of getting there so far this year with the river level.

Check out the link in the post above for nearby conservation areas. Wherever you go, get there early and get in as far as you can.