Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Goose Lake Prairie - IL >

Goose Lake Prairie - IL

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Goose Lake Prairie - IL

Old 07-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Default Goose Lake Prairie - IL

Anybody know anything about deer hunting at this Goose Lake Prairie?

I drew a 2nd choice muzzleloader tag there but I doubt I'll get to use it because I have a ton of vacation days to bowhunt and also drew a JEPC firearm permit. I doubt I'll have a buck tag left, but may use this mzl for a doe if there are any left by then. I have never been there, bowhunt JTA & Midewin, but I did an aerial on GLP and it looks like it would be a waste with no cover and lots of hunting before mid-December!
Old 07-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

GLP has some really nice deer however I will no longer hunt there during firearm season. I took my friend out there last year for his first time deer hunting and he got shot in the leg by some moron shooting at a doe running on the tracks between 2 different areas. He did get fined for reckless discharge of a firearm and tresspassing. Luckily for my friend the slug just grazed his leg leaving him with a nice scar but no serious damage. There were a lot of scary looking guys at the check in as well and dubt that I will ever hunt public land in IL again during firearm season.

I did see a 140/150" buck gget shoot after passing on it because I would have had to shooot towards the lake and there was nothing to stop my slug if I would have missed. By the time it got to where there was a rise in the terrrain behind it, it was about 225 yards and seconds later another hunter got him before I could try to make a move on him. Oh, since there are prety much no trees, you hunt on the ground which also makes it a little more dangerous.