Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Cougars in Illinois? >

Cougars in Illinois?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Cougars in Illinois?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

There have been quite a few reports of panther sightings in southeastern Illinois over the last couple years, albeit nothing documented. Both my parents claimed to have seen one a couple years ago near their home. I checked around a bit and found out that there had been a couple sightings during roughly the same period to the north and south of their place. Given how much ground panthers cover and the fact that there seem to be only a few of them in Illinois, it makes sense that you might get a string of sightings in one area and then nothing for a long time. I would assume that in the absence of an established local population of panthers they will travel a long ways, make a kill and stay in the general area of it until they are done feeding and then move on. Animals can cross the upper Mississippi River over the ice pretty easily during the rough winters. Given the documented Iowa panther population, it would make sense that more could be moving eastward.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
There have been quite a few reports of panther sightings in southeastern Illinois over the last couple years, albeit nothing documented. Both my parents claimed to have seen one a couple years ago near their home. I checked around a bit and found out that there had been a couple sightings during roughly the same period to the north and south of their place. Given how much ground panthers cover and the fact that there seem to be only a few of them in Illinois, it makes sense that you might get a string of sightings in one area and then nothing for a long time. I would assume that in the absence of an established local population of panthers they will travel a long ways, make a kill and stay in the general area of it until they are done feeding and then move on. Animals can cross the upper Mississippi River over the ice pretty easily during the rough winters. Given the documented Iowa panther population, it would make sense that more could be moving eastward.
They shot one in Chicago a couple years back...that's pretty conclusive to me.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Spaniel,

There have been at least three confirmed panthers killed in Illinois in the past 7 or 8 years: one in northwest Illininois, one in northeast illinois, and one in southwest illinois. So, no one is really debating whether or not they are in Illinois. The real issue is now how many and where?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well answering THAT question Rocky ain't gonna happen. I think what we have here are straglers, one here and there, etc...

My question is when will there be a viable breeding poulation. That is when things will escalate and get a bit more intresting. Especially with the black panthers!

Last edited by uncle matt; 02-23-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would assume that a viable population will be established when a few more straggle into Illinois and locate habitat that makes them want to stick around. That's what happened in Iowa. The things are pretty elusive even in areas where they are (comparatively speaking) plentiful. If they are anything like bobcats, you can get the impression that there are few if any of them even when the area is actually full of them. Of course, the big difference is that the panther kills of deer and livestock will be much more apparent, unless they end up hanging out in the middle of the Shawnee Hills or Mississippi and Wabash river bottoms where few folks go.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
Spaniel,

There have been at least three confirmed panthers killed in Illinois in the past 7 or 8 years: one in northwest Illininois, one in northeast illinois, and one in southwest illinois. So, no one is really debating whether or not they are in Illinois. The real issue is now how many and where?
3 killed in 7-8 years tells me they likely ARE breeding. Now you won't confirm that without locating a litter or doing a DNA study but as reclusive as lions are, this is pretty telling. Outdoorsmen out West where these animals are firmly established in huntable populations can go a lifetime without seeing a cat that wasn't treed by dogs first.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Spaniel,

I think that the DNA testing (and other tests) on at least one of the ones killed indicated that it had originated out west in the Black Hills area, i think. As you stated, I think that the only time you can prove there is a breeding population of any kind will be when there are reports of very young panthers or pregnant females. When only a couple mature ones are turning up then the assuption will be that they are wandering long distances in search of mates. But you don't know if they are successful until there is proof of young being born in a given area.

They kind of remind me of what i have read about black bears. You can have long periods where the only sign of them is the occasionally young male passing thru an area in search of a mate. You dont get any really good signs until you end up with mated pairs and young that remain in the general area and that can take years or decades.

Last edited by Lanse couche couche; 02-23-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

"miniature" black panther ?

Originally Posted by uncle matt
I caught this image of what is believed to be a black (florida) panther on the farm in S. IL. Very characteristic picture with the low posture and long tail.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:26 AM
Typical Buck

Matt what part of southern Illinois was that,where I hunt on my uncles property near Thompsonville/Ewing they have seen a black cat like that on a several occasions,my cousin believes that this cat hangs around on their property and that they have heard it making some scary screams at times.I get pretty nervous on my long walks to the woods when I bowhunt.Bill D>
Old 02-24-2010, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I won't dispute the presence of mountain lions in Il.It's obvious that they've at least passed through from time to time.However,that picture is a black house cat and a small one at that.There is no such thing as a black mountain lion.They simply don't exist.Breath easy and enjoy your walks in the dark.Nothing is gonna get you,especially a creature that doesn't exist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.