Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Kansas help!!

Old 01-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Spike

Default Kansas help!!

I am going to head up to kansas to bow hunt this year. If i get drawn. I plan on hunting public land, or walk in. I am trying to find the most productive land. I am up for anywhere in the state. I am not looking for honey holes, just a wildlife area, or a specific area to key in on. I am from texas so am going to try and hunt about 7 to 9 days around veterans day in november. I will plan a pre scouting trip to zone in on some specific areas. I plan on camping and walking in with a climbing stand or pop up blind. I don't mind putting in work to be rewarded with just seeing some descent deer. Any help would be great. If you don't want to say it out loud, feel free to pm me. By the way I am in north east texas, so I don't see all the big bucks like the southern texas boys do!LOL By the way I was kinda looking at the mined land wildlife area. Don't know much about it, but it looks good on google earth. Any advice to stay away, or if this area is any good.

Thanks so much guys, Michael
Old 01-29-2010, 07:53 AM
Spike

If you're going to hunt public land, then I'd stay away from the Northeastern part of the state and immediately around Wichita. Due to the higher populations there, the public areas can have a good deal of pressure. Also, there is much more public land and WIHA areas out west. I'd take a look at the this map to see what areas are available.

http://kdwp.state.ks.us/news/KDWP-In...-Hunting-Atlas

Also, pay attention to the numerical codes which indicate what each area is suited for.

Generally, hunting in KS is all about scouting and knowing the deer it the area. It may be challenging without being able to spend more time scouting. Good luck to you.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Spike

I'll agree with Huntingks. Stay away from anything 100 miles or so from Topeka, Wichita, or Kansas City. That will help get you away from the crowds.

Mined Lands is an excellent hunt, I recommend it. Beautiful area, very good bow hunting. Most of it is relatively close to the road, you'll have maybe a two mile walk to get into most of it. It's not like hunting Wyoming where you need horses or something. Walking is just fine. November can be a bit chilly you might want to budget a few bucks to go get a motel in case you get cold. There is plenty of camping in the area for cheap, in fact, I'm not 100%, but you might be able to camp right on the Mined Land Wildlife area.

You can have one of the best white tail hunts a person can have there and not spend all that much money either. Plus it's right on the southern edge of the state and not all that terribly far from you. Go for it! Seriously don't delay put in for your tag as soon as they'll take your application and do it!

Good luck...