Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
New Hunter in Iowa - questions - Laws? >

New Hunter in Iowa - questions - Laws?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

New Hunter in Iowa - questions - Laws?

Old 12-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Spike

Default New Hunter in Iowa - questions - Laws?

So I'm 21 yrs old, getting my first shotgun (I've shot many many times before). My mom never let us have em before and now that I'm done with school I decided I should finally get my own.

She's worried about Iowa laws.

Does anybody know if there are special laws in Iowa about keeping shotguns locked up?

I looked online, found nothing
Old 12-23-2009, 03:37 AM
Fork Horn

Not sure if there are any laws in the books or not but it is a good idea to keep your weapons lock in a gun cabinet or at least use a gun lock if you store them in your closet or some place out of site. Also a good idea to keep your ammo away from your guns and locked up too.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Spike

There are no state laws requiring any type of locking of guns, although it is a good idea to keep them locked up. It helps prevent accidents as well as theft.

There could be an ordinance in your specific city that requires a trigger lock, but there isn't a statewide regulation.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Spike

Alright, thanks guys. I was planning on getting a trigger lock anyhow, just to make her happy. Just curious if there were any formal laws.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Spike

eric,

I hope you have a bow and bowhunt there too, becuse you are located in the best deer hunting state in the country. Huge advantage with archery only rut hunting. Great public lands available there. Been there done that. Guns are OK, but short post-rut seasons.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you are around college age, so just in case you are in college in Iowa then most likely there may be a campus rule. In college my first 2 years I had to keep my shotgun locked up at the campus Police station. I doubt this is the case but I got caught with three shells in the back seat of my SUV on campus (1998) and had to go through a whole Judicial hearing. Three 6's from pheasant hunting. Honest mistake that they were left in the back seat on the floor board, but come on. Luckily my father was a Cook County Detective and had worked a big case back in the 80's that started in Carbondale and ended in Chicago so he was able to make a few calls to make it go away. I was pretty lucky, now a days I have to think Campus Police won't go so light.

On a side note, Trigger gaurds are a MUST! My hunting partner and best friend found one of his a$$ hole roommates handguns one night when he was going through a rough spell and had too much to drink. Gun was loaded and he took his life. Worst phone call I ever recieved. Trigger locks on all guns at all times on all my guns. You never know who will accidentally find your gun.

Another thing, once you start deer hunting be prepared, its an addiction and there is no cure! Enjoy!