Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
ILL has gone downhill >

ILL has gone downhill

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

ILL has gone downhill

Old 12-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
Land prices are much more reasonable once you get well away from the large urban areas and portions of the state where you have the prime farmground. I know that in southeastern Illinois you can find hunting ground for $1000 and acre if you look good enough. Part of that is because of the economy,but even when the hunting ground prices peaked, you didnt see it for much over 2000 and acre.

Please PM me where in S E IL your finding huntable land for $1000 an acre ?
Cheapest I can find is $3k+ per acre.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
Many of the top hunters and voices in Illinois truly do believe that our IDNR needs to go back to the Edgar days of management practices here and not todays crap of selling out our herd for more cash flow! It's all about money, more tags.... more cash flow for the IL fat cats sitting in the Capitol! More NR tags, more gun tags and more seasons.... not a good thing for quality herd concerns but more cash for one of the worst economic states in the union.... a sad affair indeed!

All these added dates/seasons so the state can profit more and yet IL reports THE WORST SEASON TOTALS SINCE 1999!!! Just over 99,000 deer killed during our entire general firearm season, the worst in a decade.... that shoud be sending up a red flag!!! Enough is enough IL!

It's time to look at the best states for quality whitetails, IOWA and KANSAS. The one drastically different factor these state have is NO GUN HUNTING IN NOVEMBER! I would love to see IL make that change, but of course it would never fly over because of tradition here. I also would love to see a ONE BUCK LIMIT put into effect as well. After these seasons stats, I see the need to reduce tags, not increase them!!!

There can be no doubt that IL faces many challenges in the years ahead and we certainly all need to voice our concerns. Perhaps someday, someone will listen.
I Agree!!

IL is whoring out the Deer hunting.

Dan
Old 12-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Spike

1k an acre!! Sign me for as much as I can get!
Old 12-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by redruff
1k an acre!! Sign me for as much as I can get!
You won't be buying any ground around here for that kind of money!!

Dan
Old 12-20-2009, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MeanV2
You won't be buying any ground around here for that kind of money!!

Dan

here either-I have not seen $1000 per acre land in 10 or 12 years
Old 12-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the Illinois DNR needs to take a hard look at specific counties or areas. The ares I hunt have been over hunted and too many deer killed. The deer numbers are way down . But the number of hunters still increases every year.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by dprsdhunter
I think the Illinois DNR needs to take a hard look at specific counties or areas. The ares I hunt have been over hunted and too many deer killed. The deer numbers are way down . But the number of hunters still increases every year.
Don't expect the DNR to do much. They are whoring out our Deer hunting. The Quality herd we do have is in large part due to the practice of private land owners.

Dan
Old 12-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MeanV2
Don't expect the DNR to do much. They are whoring out our Deer hunting. The Quality herd we do have is in large part due to the practice of private land owners.

Dan
I have said for the last few years deer hunting was going down hill. Its a sure sign when a few years ago I saw as many deer in a day as I do a week now.

I agree the IDNR isnt going to do much-if they do it will be in the wrong direction. It has become a resource the state can to get much needed revenue from.
I think the only way it may get better is when it gets so bad that some stop hunting in Illinois
Old 12-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dprsdhunter
I have said for the last few years deer hunting was going down hill. Its a sure sign when a few years ago I saw as many deer in a day as I do a week now.

I agree the IDNR isnt going to do much-if they do it will be in the wrong direction. It has become a resource the state can to get much needed revenue from.
I think the only way it may get better is when it gets so bad that some stop hunting in Illinois

With the latest fee increases that may be sooner (for some) then you think.
Deer hunters get hit twice, license & tags both increased.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Fellas,

I'm not saying that there are vast tracts of land for 1000 an acre in my part of the country. I said you could find it if you looked really good. One of my neighbors in Wayne County just sold off some of his wooded land next to mine for 1000 an acre, and I have heard of other pieces selling for about that. When I bought my first piece of land in 2003, I paid 1300 an acre for nice wooded ground with lower quality logged off ground going for 1100. The price went up very high over the next several years to the point that last year I paid 1650 an acre for not-so-good river bottom ground, and very good wooded land was up around 2000. Most of that ground was only available thru a realtor. But the price of land has now dropped back down to the point that you can find land that is selling for closer to 1000 an acre than 2000 and there are more and more listings in local papes or by word of mouth.

I will be in southeastern Illinois for 10 days over Christmas and generally keep an eye on land sales when I am there. Will try to let the folks that asked me about land know if i come across some good deals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.