Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Late season tactics >

Late season tactics

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Late season tactics

Old 12-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Spike

Default Late season tactics

Ok...My wife and I have decided to make a return trip to Pike County, IL on the 13th of December. This will be the first time I will be hunting up there late in the season. Any suggestions on what I should be doing different than in early November?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Find a good food source and hunt it, the colder it is the better.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Bartender

Along with the food source try to get on stand much earlier then you normally would.
Also you might need to go much higher in a tree if your only 10-15 feet up right now.
Please becareful if you do indeed get up to 20-25 feet.

T
Old 12-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Spike

usually in late season, i stop hunting early mornings, and hunt from midday on when i can.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Demo92
usually in late season, i stop hunting early mornings, and hunt from midday on when i can.

Why????????
Old 12-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rogerstv
Why????????
because thats what works for me. and if it works for ya why change it?.
so why not???????????
Old 12-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

food food food food food
Old 12-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Demo92
because thats what works for me. and if it works for ya why change it?.
so why not???????????
So, not hunting works for you? How?

I guess you mean that you don't generally see deer in the morning during late season?????? If you're at home, then that is why it doesn't work.

I could see shortening your morning hunt, but no way do I think movement is necessarily better in the morning or evening. It could be, but I have never witnessed a difference. It is usually colder in the morning, which plays a factor for me.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

The few times I've hunted late in the season I noticed the same thing, deer waiting to midday to move. I bumped into a nother hunter once and he had been hunting the area for a while, I was coming out one day and he was just going in, basically said I've been hunting here so long, and have learned there's no reason to be in stand before light....he knew they were moving at 11am....on the mark pretty much, and I confirmed...

Hunt when you can, but if getting out there so early that you'll be cold and done by 10am, and they aren't moving til 11am, you're better off get out there at 10am and hunting all day....

Originally Posted by rogerstv
So, not hunting works for you? How?

I guess you mean that you don't generally see deer in the morning during late season?????? If you're at home, then that is why it doesn't work.

I could see shortening your morning hunt, but no way do I think movement is necessarily better in the morning or evening. It could be, but I have never witnessed a difference. It is usually colder in the morning, which plays a factor for me.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

I have noticed more movement from 9-12 then first light to 9ish...and the cold and snow sure seems to help get the deer on their feet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.