Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
New IL Bowhunter >

New IL Bowhunter

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

New IL Bowhunter

Old 10-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Spike

Default New IL Bowhunter

Hello

I am attempting to get into bowhunting deer in IL. I live in Will county and have some public land in the area that I would like to use to learn.

I was hoping some other IL bowhunters can help me out with some of the "I wish I would have known back then" type lessons and other general knowledge.

I'm already confused by license requirement. If all I want to do is archery, do I need to get a permit and then a license? Or can I just buy an OTC either sex or antler-less only permit and be good?

What can you guys tell a newbie to help him out?

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nonpoint
Hello

I am attempting to get into bowhunting deer in IL. I live in Will county and have some public land in the area that I would like to use to learn.

I was hoping some other IL bowhunters can help me out with some of the "I wish I would have known back then" type lessons and other general knowledge.

I'm already confused by license requirement. If all I want to do is archery, do I need to get a permit and then a license? Or can I just buy an OTC either sex or antler-less only permit and be good?

What can you guys tell a newbie to help him out?

Thanks!
Welcome!!! Well you are REQUIRED to have a hunting license...habitat stamp...and a archery permitt.

Dont let the days without seeing anything get you down, it will happen. Just be patient, set your self up along a field edge, and position yourself so your scent will be blowing away from the trail the deer use. Buy warm winter gear, a cold hunter is done within an hour or so. Be sure to de-scent, buy the scent away shampoo and soap, wash your clothes with scent away detergent, store them in a rubbermaid container, dont put on your outer layers until you get to the parking spot of where you will be hunting. These are the basics that will send you in the right direction. Feel free to email me if you have anyother questions, I will try to answer them.

Good Luck...and most important...HAVE FUN!!!!