Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
WI wolf population management >

WI wolf population management

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

WI wolf population management

Old 10-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default WI wolf population management

Hey....this is for one of my natural resource classes and was jw if any1 had some info. for me!

I need to read/find articles involving if wolf harvesting should be used as a management practice in Wisconsin.

Doesn't matter if the articles are pro or con......

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 10-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've read plenty on wolves, none I could reference right of the top of my head. I do have a strong O on the subject though. I say don't manage them. They were taken care of until some people disrespectful of their elders forced the reintroduction of the animal after our fathers had removed them and for good reasons.

If they are managed they will only and always be a problem for hunters, managed to kill the animals we hunt for food and recreation. We have been limited in taking that game for the reason that the herd needed established and now that it is suddenly it's a problem, not for me.

Let them go and become a problem for all, society needs to learn the lesson. In the end hunters will be paid to take care of the problem they did not create not pay to keep the problem only they suffer with.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

The only good wolf is a dead one! We have a very large problem in northern WI now, why manage a killing machine that kills for nothing more than the thrill? Talk to the bear hunters who are loosing their hounds, one after the other, to these wolves. Some say we manage them - By gut shooting every one we see! Sounds ok to me. I think many farmers and hounds men will take care of the managing.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Manage = Hunting season. Hunting Season = License. License = money in DNR's pockets. Good thing the wolves were not planted in the State. Wait until they start eating all the elk calves and elk in a bad winter. Then you will see some management.

As for articals on wolves, there are not a lot of them I have seen. Have your read the book... Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowatt? Its a good read.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
Manage = Hunting season. Hunting Season = License. License = money in DNR's pockets. Good thing the wolves were not planted in the State. Wait until they start eating all the elk calves and elk in a bad winter. Then you will see some management.

As for articals on wolves, there are not a lot of them I have seen. Have your read the book... Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowatt? Its a good read.
May not have been planted but were protected when they never should've been. Now they want them protected enough to keep them out of their back yards and only in the woods killing the game we pay to hunt. I say share the love. Let'm hire shooters to take care of the wolves and bear and cats. When that doesn't do it and they've spent the money; when fear enters the hearts of the citys and towns people things will be set right.

That's how I'd manage them.

Here in Ohio not more than a couple hundred years ago men traveled in groups for protection against wolf attacks. I can see and hear the crys of fear of the women and children who have been at the mercy of huge packs that used to run wild. When I think of that and the insult to their memory these wolf protectors have commited, I know it's wrong but I want them to share in their crys in the night. They couldn't possibly feel as they did since their homes were not much more than huts but... Only then will they learn.

Our local zoo insults their memory even more, they built a wolf area and placed an observation building in it. It's a cabin with some kind of protective glass so people could experience what it was like in days gone by. Pissed me off the first time I saw it and have never been in it again.

The last wolf killed in this area was killed with a vengence and is recorded in Henry Howe's history of Ohio. If the dead could talk they'd have plenty to say to the fools that let that beast go again.

Said I had a strong O on it.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
The only good wolf is a dead one! We have a very large problem in northern WI now,

Brother we have a large population throughout the state. Up north, Blk Rvr St Forest, Necedah,they have even been spotted in Avon Bottoms near Beloit.

As soon as they start eating sheep in Madison.....