HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   the rut is coming fast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/306372-rut-coming-fast.html)

mr.mc54 10-09-2009 02:33 PM

the rut is coming fast

Saw ten scrapes today, all fresh, with rubs on the outside of my food plots and field edges. Also got a pic of a very large 8 point with a swollen neck on my trail camera. I have also seen young bucks cruising (by them selves) the ridges on our farm. I haven't seen a doe in the last 4 times out hunting. I have never seen bucks act like this-this early. Has anyone else noticed this???

BOWHUNTERCOP 10-09-2009 03:23 PM

same here in New Jersey, and just got a call from my friend in Illinois who took a walk in the area of the farm I hunt, he told me he never saw so many rubs and very, very large rubs. Last year I saw 9 shooters ranging from 130"-180"

fastetti 10-09-2009 03:30 PM

Ive been seeing scrapes and rubs up here in Northern Illinois for the last two weeks. I also was thinking this seems pretty early for me. Don't know if its the cold weather or what. No place for me to hunt in Illinois this year, only Michigan (Home of "Its brown, it's down." Well at least my area) so Im hopeing the rut isn't coming early. Well see, you never know. All the runs and scrapes Ive seen haven't been too big even know I know there are some monsters around here. Im hoping there just starting to warm up for "The main event"!

midsouth_hunter 10-10-2009 05:58 AM

I hope they calm down a little and wait for full blown rut in early November.

wis_bow_huntr 10-15-2009 03:21 AM

Just finding scrapes now in Clark county. Seeing a few small bucks running around by themselves but nothing swelling yet. Were still a good 3-4 weeks out yet before a good full blown rut.

firefighter1976 10-18-2009 06:11 AM

Minimal Rut type activity at this point in central portion of Michigan. Starting to see some nice scrapes and some small bucks running does for a few seconds but nothing serious. Another week and things will start heating up. The big boys remain noctornal after some early season hunting pressure.

cybersniper 10-18-2009 07:33 AM

Last week my daughter shot a nice 8 point during the youth hunt. The neck was already swollen. The taxidermist was surprised the neck was that thick this early. The buck was shot in Osseo,WI

BowHuntingFool 10-18-2009 11:36 AM

My areas are being TORN up bigtime. Scrapes are being hit very hard this last week, rubs and scrapes are everywhere, I've also called in a few small bucks. I have see a few Does one group with a buck following! Gonna be real good here very shortly!

EndeavorShooter 10-18-2009 04:13 PM

Found several scrapes this weekend. I think the cooler than normal temps here in IN has bucks really moving. I saw a 140" 3 1/2 year old this weekend that's neck was really swelled. Just stayed slightly outside my comfy range for a bow.

79 bronco 10-19-2009 07:09 AM

Hey guys,

I hunt southern IL. Havent seen a whole lot of activity yet. A few small scrapes but very little buck movement although this past week I did an evening hunt and had 3 small bucks together pass by my blind. I figure they should start splitting up from their bachelor groups pretty soon. Lots of does this year at our place.

Good luck,

79 bronco