Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Illinois Resident Deer Hunters >

Illinois Resident Deer Hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois Resident Deer Hunters

Old 10-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DUMB BASS
Go here and take the survey...
http://dnr.state.il.us/nrab/cc.htm

It addresses all things you talked about here... and possible ways to change it.
Done! I think Illinois could learn a thing or two from Iowa. If non-residents couldn't hunt here more than 1 or 2 years in a row, then have to go on a waiting list to come back, it would solve a lot of problems with crowds on what little public land we have and maybe make leases a little cheaper. I have always said the worst thing to ever happen to deer hunting in Illinois is our reputation for "big bucks" and the IDNR's ever increasing thirst for revenue. The land may belong to the owners, but the Deer belong to the people of the state of Illinois, it would be nice if we had more access to them. All we can do is keep hammering the IDNR.

Last edited by Kid; 10-01-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

It wont be longer guys...outfitters have ruined the "golden triangle" area. There total disreguard to herd management by not shooting Doe's has caused the gene pool to suffer. It's a fact that growing deer over 150" is becoming more and more difficult in this famed region. I agree that if you can afford to hunt anywhere, that should be your right, it's not the out of state hunters I have a problem with, it's the outfitters way of running that pisses me off.

On a side not, IDNR has totally dropped the ball by the "honor system" for checking deer, I dont even want to begin to think about the number of deer killed by hunters who dont tag there deer. We need to go back to having check stations.

There is private land to hunt, you just have to be willing to knock on 100 doors to find that 1.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GrandSlamHunter
I understand how you guys feel. I live in Georgia and about 15 years ago Florida hunters started coming up here and leasing GA land. They came because of the high price of hunting in Florida due to all the development there. Our lease prices went from a couple dollars/acre to 15 or 20 dollars/acre. Many Georgia hunters could not pay it, some refused to pay it, and others hunted on public or family land. Florida hunters were not looked upon favorably but they were just doing what they had to do to continue their hunting heritage.

I hunt in Illinois along with several friends and I assure you that we are not wealthy. These guys have jobs and families and bills just like you do. They start saving in January to be able to afford one 5 day hunt in your state. Because of the economy this year, several who planned to come will not be able to. We drive 13 hours each way to be able to experience what some of you might take for granted, the opportunity to hunt where there are truly magnificent whitetails.

I don't have a solution to your problem. Some different approaches have been mentioned above. Just try not to look so negatively at the guys with the out of state tags. They are a lot more like you than you think.

And thats all I have to say about that.
I understand where you are coming from, but my experience's have been bad.. I started hunting in Pike county when I was 14 (22 years ago), I used to be able to hunt pretty much anywhere I wanted as long as I had asked permission. Then came the publicity from T.V. and that was the end.... At 26 I had enough and made a move for the better..
Not until last year did I start having bad experience with out of staters.. These 14 guys from Maryland and West Virginia leased 1000 acres surrounding the property in which I hunt.. Where do you think they had put up a stand??? 60 yards from my permanent stand which had been in that spot for the past 10 years.. and they knew it was there cause they had mentioned that when they were walking their properties they had seen it... Talk about infuriating... Then on top of it they are shooting 130" bucks, while all the time prior, they talked about how they are into QDMA.....what a load of B.S....
Old 10-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by whitetailcrazy
I understand where you are coming from, but my experience's have been bad.. I started hunting in Pike county when I was 14 (22 years ago), I used to be able to hunt pretty much anywhere I wanted as long as I had asked permission. Then came the publicity from T.V. and that was the end.... At 26 I had enough and made a move for the better..
Not until last year did I start having bad experience with out of staters.. These 14 guys from Maryland and West Virginia leased 1000 acres surrounding the property in which I hunt.. Where do you think they had put up a stand??? 60 yards from my permanent stand which had been in that spot for the past 10 years.. and they knew it was there cause they had mentioned that when they were walking their properties they had seen it... Talk about infuriating... Then on top of it they are shooting 130" bucks, while all the time prior, they talked about how they are into QDMA.....what a load of B.S....
I don't think that what you are describing is as much about out of staters as it is about differences in hunters. My old lease was bordered by 120 acres hunted by locals. They hunted by permission of the local owner and shot everything they saw (literally). Opening day of firearms last year they killed 13 deer on their property (bucks and does). They hunted the lines and shot across on us regularly.
I have a new lease this year. Several weeks ago while hanging stands I found a ladder stand across the line fence on our lease. The adjoining property is owned by a local and hunted by his son and a few of his friends. The line is obvious and they know where it is.
Sorry for the problems you're having, but it can work both ways. If you were hunting next to my lease, you would have a totally different experience.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by whitetailcrazy
Thing is ---to alot of non resident hunters who come to Illinois a 130 class buck is big to them.
But I do understand your frustration. Heck I feel it myself.
Bit that is the way it has become and honestly I do not see it getting better. Perhaps the poor economy will slow it down a little
Old 10-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by solocamcan
It wont be longer guys...outfitters have ruined the "golden triangle" area. There total disreguard to herd management by not shooting Doe's has caused the gene pool to suffer. It's a fact that growing deer over 150" is becoming more and more difficult in this famed region. I agree that if you can afford to hunt anywhere, that should be your right, it's not the out of state hunters I have a problem with, it's the outfitters way of running that pisses me off.

On a side not, IDNR has totally dropped the ball by the "honor system" for checking deer, I dont even want to begin to think about the number of deer killed by hunters who dont tag there deer. We need to go back to having check stations.

There is private land to hunt, you just have to be willing to knock on 100 doors to find that 1.

I agree with what you are saying about maybe ruining the Golden triangle and fewer large bucks.---To remedy this many outfitters began moving east into Morgan Macoupin and Greene counties.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

I should have mentioned another thing that those guys from out east did, but I forgot because as I was typing I was getting myself worked up....

This was the other thing which really bothered me, they have been down here for 1 year prior to last, and know where we hunt. They went to a neighboring farm where have permision to hunt and tried to lease it from underneath us... That was pretty shi!!y...
Old 10-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Kid,

That's why i said you need to shop around in Illinois for land. In the area where I own land in southeastern Illinois, I know of a couple tracts of hunting land that have sold for 1000 to 1500 an acre in the last few months because of the recession. I paid 1650 an acre for some so-so hunting ground back when the real estate prices had pretty much peaked. Have hard of plenty of other pieces of very good hunting ground selling for 1650 to 1850 an acre recently. People are not knocking on your door trying to sell it, so yes it does take some effort to shop around and find something.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Forget about the IDNR being able to do anything, they have little control these days and little funding. The state can't or won't even afford to pay for a few more conservation officers. Where I am located one or two game wardens must cover 3-4 counties.

You must also remember that Farm Bureau and many state legislators pushed for the increasing amount of NR permits.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
Kid,

That's why i said you need to shop around in Illinois for land. In the area where I own land in southeastern Illinois, I know of a couple tracts of hunting land that have sold for 1000 to 1500 an acre in the last few months because of the recession. I paid 1650 an acre for some so-so hunting ground back when the real estate prices had pretty much peaked. Have hard of plenty of other pieces of very good hunting ground selling for 1650 to 1850 an acre recently. People are not knocking on your door trying to sell it, so yes it does take some effort to shop around and find something.
Unfortunately, that part of Illinois is several hours from my home, so it is not real feasible to own ground in the Wayne/White/Gallatin County area for me. I may end up looking in that area if push comes to shove, but not my first choice being so far from home. Thanks for the heads up, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.