Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

red rock lake

Old 09-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Spike

Default red rock lake

anyone have info on gun or muzzleloader hunting on lake red rock in iowa?how bad is the pressure and is it big enough to get away from people by walking or using a boat?any info would be helpful.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Hi Rab. I don't live in that part of the state but i might be able to help you out just a little bit. Most public lakes in this state have quite a bit of surrounding land that is owned by the county. I have never been to Red Rock, although i would love to fish it someday. So i really know nothing about it.

I have a website you can look at that will show you some property lines. http://beacon.schneidercorp.com/?site=MuscatineCountyIA . Pick Iowa as the state and choose Marion county. Start with the map and zoom in a little. Check rural imagery and make sure the parcels box is checked. You can then zoom in to see some of the surrounding landowners. Click the blue button with the letter I on it and any parcel you hold the curser over will show you who owns it.

Other lakes i have looked at usually show the county or someone owning the timber surrounding the lake. This lake has some surrounding timber but it tells you no parcel found. You would have to check into it but i would bet all those parcels are owned by the state and are huntable, except for the two state parks.

Thats about all i can help you with. Hopefully you can get some local guys answer this thread.

These other two sites may help you out more about figuring out the hunting oppourtunities. Looks like alot of land to get away from people. Although you do have a major city closeby. Des Moines.
http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/RedRock/Maps/default.cfm

http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/RedRo...ingMap_000.pdf

Jerry.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Iowabucks44
Hi Rab.
I have a website you can look at that will show you some property lines. http://beacon.schneidercorp.com/?site=MuscatineCountyIA . .

Thanks for posting this web site. It worked out for me.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:30 AM
Spike

thanks for your reply.it looks like you could get in a boat and not see anyone else unless they walked more than a mile.ive got one preference point and want to gun hunt iowa in 2010.i just have to decide where i want to go.thanks
Old 09-24-2009, 04:43 AM
Spike

Red Rock has a LOT of ground, never deer hunted it, but ran beagles there alot, I dont think the public ground gets hit hard, most people think everyone hunts its, but nobody really hits it.

I would go in on the west side of the place, around the Knoxville area. It's been years since i have been hunting there.

You can pick up Highway 5 in Knoxville and go south, it will lead you to the Layhart area(south of Lavilla) then on to Lake Miami (north of Albia), then on south to Rathbun lake. More ground than you can dream of.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've fished Rathburn & always see lots of Deer & theres lots of Public ground.
Also, western Iowa , Loess Hills is GREAT Bowhunting & Lots of ground.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Spike

thanks to all who replied.im going to make a scouting trip there in the spring to check it out.thanks