Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Kansas early season muzzleloader?(Updated) >

Kansas early season muzzleloader?(Updated)

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Kansas early season muzzleloader?(Updated)

Old 08-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Spike

I'm about 100 miles east of your hunting area but used to hunt birds in that area. Heat maybe an issue then again may not be, bugs are a given, you can set up near food plots milo, winter wheat in morning and evenings. Glassing cover during the day can produce some fun spot and stalk situations. I'm hoping to hunt the ssame season. Youth hunt runs 9 for days just before muzzleloader season so some may have been hunted (spooked) before you hunt.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Spike

Once again thanks for the advice guys. It's getting close to time and I'm getting excited! Looking at the long range forecast looks like the early part of next week will be in the low 70's with lows around 50. Not too bad I guess. Sure beats 90! Maybe a cool front will come cruisin in mid week? Anymore advice? I'm not used to hunting an area with so little timber and vast cropland so any help will be very helpul. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2009, 05:14 AM
Spike

Well we're here and I gotta tell you, this is way more difficult than I expected! For some reason I can't seem to figure these deer out! All of the land we're allowed to hunt is drainages around creeks in between large agricultural fields. These areas are littered with well worn trails but the deer don't seem to be traveling them during the day? Where do these deer hide? There are very few trees yet you can ride roads for hours and not see an animal? In three days we've saw a couple of small bucks and a few does. Any Northern Kansas guys have any suggestions? I'm almost ready to tuck my taill and head back south!
Old 10-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep at it. I'm east of there and it's been tough hunting, too. Seen very few deer. Keep looking for the active food sources.

Drives can be very effective in Kansas because the cover tends to be long and narrrow.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Spike

I am about 100 east of Concordia and have been hunting hard when I can. The thing I found it the deer are really traveling long distant to feed. Evening hunting has been better that morning have been busted by crows, turkeys, and even deer in the mornings. Evening hunts have been trying as well wind betrayed me two times. Hope tomorrow will be better (fighting sinus infection).
Old 10-16-2009, 04:28 AM
Spike

Well? What happened?