Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Ohio Rut?

Old 07-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ohio Rut?

im just wondering when is the rut usually in ohio? im up in North West ohio if that helps.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

It's probably in november .
Old 07-22-2009, 10:57 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fishinty
It's probably in november .

OK! early midle or late in the month
Old 07-27-2009, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like your looking for a wall hanger since you mentioned the RUT? If that is the case I would focus on the last ten days of October if I were you. From my experience, I always harvest HUGE bucks during this time frame. When the RUT is in full swing, most big bucks are held up with does already. That is why you do not see many mature does at this time and younger bucks are running crazy while big daddy is busy. Typically the full rut starts in my area (Brown county) the second week of November and dwindles to post rut through gun season.

Last edited by TURKEY FAN; 07-27-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Spike

I'm in Sandusky county and last season the rut started the last week in October. I was always told that it really starts after the first hard frost of the year. Any more questions you can email me at [email protected] or check out my website

myspace.com/swampghosts
Old 08-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Spike

I will be up in Morgan County for the Bow opener next month at my wife's family's private property..some 500 acres or so. I'll be there for 3 1/2 days to hunt.

Im mainly a duck hunter but started dabbling in deer last year. How can u compare the rut in November to what I will see for the opener. Just curious. I'm wondering if I should have just gone later but the flight was only 150rt
Old 08-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

In SE. OH. our best days for mature buck sightings and harvest's have been Nov. 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Cleveland the frost, weather, temp, moon phase etc. has nothing to do with the timing of the rut. The amount of light in the day triggers the doe's to come into estrous and they will come into estrous every year with in a day or two of when they came into estrous the year before and the year before that. Pike
Old 08-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RWK
OK! early midle or late in the month

or