HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Morels (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/29646-morels.html)

nub 05-05-2003 09:04 AM

Morels

Its getting close. I found more shrooms than ticks this morning. :D

propmahn 05-05-2003 09:40 AM

RE: Morels

yeah my parents have been out in force looking. with all the rain last night i think my parents should find some tomight. i tell you though i hate all kinds of mushrooms. if i find any i just give em to my parents. the things are terrible

JRW 05-05-2003 09:53 AM

I was shooting a 3D Saturday. While we were pulling arrows out of a target, the guy I was shooting with spotted a big patch of morrels only a few feet away. We couldn' t figure out how so many people walked right by and missed them.

cheese-head 05-05-2003 06:53 PM

Nub did you really find some or are you pulling my leg. I was out sunday and checked some of my honey holes and nothing, the may apples are hardly even out of the ground.I was thinking we are at least a week behind.

nub 05-05-2003 08:19 PM

I' m not pulling your leg pal. I only found 4 little grays and 2 ticks. They were real small so I left them to grow. The shrooms, not the ticks.:D They were right on the edge where the woods meets the field. If I wouldn' t have been relieving some coffee next to a dead Elm, I never would have noticed them. I' ll be back in that spot Weds. morning waiting on a longbeard to go with those shrooms. [:-]

bob d 05-05-2003 10:06 PM

I FOUND AROND 70 THIS WEEKEND ON FRIDAY AND SATURDAY SOME REALLY NICE ONES NOT MANY SMALL ONES YELLOWS MOSTLY

les413 05-06-2003 01:38 PM

hell yeah i got morels....i never fool around with my buddies old ladies....

logs 05-06-2003 01:45 PM

I was in OH with VC last week and the group camped across from us hunted Turkeys to noon (end of shooting hours) and picked mushrooms in the afternoon.
The four guys picked 1200 mushroms in about 4 afternoons. All morels. All on public land and most of them very large.
The lilac were just blooming and the aspen/poplars just let loose with the cotton.
I figure that time climate wise is about Mothers day and the week following here in WI.

round ball 05-08-2003 02:16 PM

There out in northern IN got 30 nice big grays and a few yellows on Monday werre they good been waiting a long time. going out tomarrow again. biggest grays I have gotten i years the yellows were good size to. It is that time of year

bob d 05-08-2003 05:20 PM

i picked about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds this afternoon

Lady Forge 05-08-2003 11:07 PM

A couple of friends of mine just got back today from southern Illinois turkey hunting and brought me 2 turkeys to mount the tail fans and 2 pounds of large yellow morels:D:D:D
cooked as follow
>> CLEAN MOELS AND CUT IN HALF.
>>POUR A COUPLE OF CUPS OF CORN FLAKES INTO A ZIPLOCK BAG
SEAL BAG AND USE ROLLING PIN TO CRUSH CORN FLAKES INTO CRUMBS ADD A LITTLE SALT.
>>WISK 3 EGGS.
>>MELT 1 STICK OF BUTTER IN SAUTE PAN.

>>DIP MOREL CUT IN HALF INTO WISKED EGG.
>>PUT MOREL IN BAG OF CORN CRUMBS AND SHAKE TO COAT MOREL.
>>FRY MORELS IN HOT BUTTER UNTIL CRISRY.
ENJOY, THEY ARE YUMMY;):D
DOSENT TAKE TO LONG AND DONT LET THE BUTTER GET TO HOT OR IT WILL BURN.

DamBigBuck 05-09-2003 08:30 AM

RE: Morel Recipe

Usually I saute all of my morels and load them onto a swiss burger, steak, or in an omlete. I really don' t like to fry them.

But last night I made some stuffed morels with the big ones and it came out fantastic!

[ul][*] Cook up some minute rice and add seasoning to taste (I used some garlic salt and lots of pepper).[*] Clean out your big morels without cutting them open. (I had mine soaking for a few days in salt water to kill all the bugs and such.)[*] Spoon in as much rice as you can into the morels.[*] Coat the bottom of a casserole dish with butter. Go ahead and coat it good and thick![*] Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.[*] Melt about a 1/3 cup of butter in the microwave and pour it over the morels. If some are looking too dry, go ahead and carefully roll them over.[*] Spread a little cheese on top of each morel. I used cheddar on half and swiss on the other half... I preferred the swiss myself.[*] Bake for another 15 minutes at 350 degrees.[*] Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
[/ul]

t-roy 05-12-2003 08:20 PM

there was an article in the paper last week that said this is the best year for morells in iowa in 20-30 years. conditions are perfect, lot of rain, temps in the 60' s and 70' s. the ' shrooms are everywhere.

the article had a way to store them too. after morells are picked, cut in half, place on a screen, or wire mesh, place in the sun to dry. any bugs will leave looking for a cooler hide-out. dry for a day, place in a paper bag, and store in a cupboard. should keep for a year or two. soak in water, clean, and you are ready to go.

i have always ate them breaded and fried, either floured in a skillet, or battered with shorelunch, in a frier. but today, i satued them in about 1/4 inch of butter with lowerys season salt, and seasoned pepper, and used them in a venison stir fry. i tried a few before i threw them in the mix, DAMN they were awesome!! i' m gonna do that more often. eat them plain, and throw them over a grilled steak.

IL_BOW_MAN 05-13-2003 06:44 AM

After turkey hunting Sunday, my buddy and me went and got 42 of these things. That was the first time I had ever found any and I have yet to taste them. But I am heading to his house for supper tonight, and I will taste them then.

the 42 morels weighed in at about 1 pound.

Pro-Line 05-13-2003 06:26 PM

Let us know what you thought Bow-Man!!! I love them...but only about 3 times a year. I' m done eating them this year...but always enjoy hearing others talk about how yummy they are!

OhioDuckHunter 05-14-2003 09:54 PM

I am done as well for this year. But I tried something new for eats...

The wife made Johnny Marzetti...

I suate`d some yellows in butter and garlic, then mixed them in my serving of the Johnny Mac. Very good taste for `shrooms, added very favorable taste to Johnny Mac as well.

Can not wait until next spring!

Tal/IL 05-15-2003 03:22 PM

We' ve pretty much reached the end of them here, I think. But, boy did we have a good year. We got a lot like these!

Pro-Line 05-16-2003 03:25 PM

Those are beauties!!!!

nub 05-19-2003 12:11 PM

I found about about 15 lbs. last weekend. I' m out of state for this week but I' ll try and find more next weekend and post some pics.

Pro-Line 05-22-2003 09:30 AM

Heading north of Cadillac, Michigan for labor day to look for morels.

Hopefully we' ll stumble into some. My buddy just came back and said the yellows are starting there...

IL_BOW_MAN 05-22-2003 01:22 PM

I don' t know pro-line, but I think labor is a tad to late for mushrooms. But if you are going on Memorial Day, then you might be okay;):D

Just to get back with you guys on the shroom testing. Now keep in mind that I don' t like mushrooms in general.....like on pizza or something. With that said, you guys can keep your mushrooms. I just didn' t like them. Call me picky, stupid or whatever you want but I didn' t like them. It was fun looking for them, but I will give them to my buddy if I find them.

TJD 05-22-2003 04:05 PM

I know I' m in the minority here, but toadstools suck!
[:' (][X(]

Pro-Line 05-22-2003 05:03 PM

Bowman and TJD...You guys can just mail them all to Ohio...LOL

Bowman...actually, We' ve been on Memorial day before in northern Michigan, and the big yellows and whites are usually just coming to prime if the weather has cooperated.

nub 05-25-2003 08:20 PM

Found a few more on Sat. Sorry, no pics. My son came and picked them up before I thought about it.

IBM: I don' t care for them either, but I sure seem to have a lot friends when I find them. :D

Pro-Line 05-26-2003 05:58 PM

We just got back from Michigan...and we found just over 160 morels. Most were very large....and we had a ball! Pic' s attached.................