Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Future exhange student needing info about US hunting >

Future exhange student needing info about US hunting

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Future exhange student needing info about US hunting

Old 05-30-2009, 03:11 PM

Default Future exhange student needing info about US hunting

Hi!

I'm a student from Europe (non-english-speaking-country), and I'm going to study at a high school in Missouri from August '09 to May '10.

Therefore, I have a couple of questions regarding this matter, and I was hoping for someone in here to give me some good answers?

1: In the time when I'm gonna be in the US (told you earlier), what can I hunt then? Here in Europe, I've hunted Ptarmigans in the mountains and Willow grouses in some valleys (or actually, it was in the mountain as well) and hares. What has Missouri to offer me?

2: How is it with weapons? Whats the age limit for owning weapons in america (especially MO)? Ive heard that the age of majority in the US is 21....? Anyway, I dont turn 18 before august '10 so i suppose buying my own weapon isn't going to be the case. And anyway, where would I store it? On my dorm at the most christian school in the god blessed world? Do I need to attend any cources to get to fire weapons, both at a range and when hunting?

3: Is hunting commercialized in the US? Here in europe, at least in my country, you have to make all the appointments yourselv, you gotta call the owner of the land, you gotta plan the route yourself, and generally, you pretty much need to know the country as your own wallet... Is it like you just call to an office and order an area for some hours at a certain time of the day?

4: Please, feel free to correct my english. I'm going over to the US in only 2.5 months, and my language really need to get in shape... [&o]

Regards (or whatever you say)
Arne
Old 05-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Future exhange student needing info about US hunting

contact the Missouri D.N.R.( department of natrual resources) on the web they have all the information you will need.I dont know that states hunting laws but here in Indiana we have public hunting ground (you just sign in and go hunting) and private ground (you have to get permission to hunt yourself from the land owner) You will need a hunting lisence non- resident since you dont live there.Also you might have to take a Hunters Ed course.Here in Indiana anyone born after 1986 has to take the H.E.D. Course to get a hunting permit.In Indiana anyone can buy a gun if you are 18 and have not been in any big trouble.(Dont know how it works if you are n ot from the states) You will have to ask the D.N.R. Hope this helps you alittle. lightfoot from Indiana
Old 05-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

Well, you'll need to take a hunter's safety course for sure. If you are staying with a family, you will probobly be able to store your gun with them, but there is no way that a college will let you keep a gun on campus. I've actually been trying to think of a way to go hunting while going to college in Platteville, WI myself, so I know that you can't take a gun on campus. You may be able to get away without taking a hunters safety course and all that, if you hunt on private game farms. You can decide for yourself if you want to pick your own areas to hunt and plan your own hunt, or you can go on a game farm where it is commercialized, and you sign up for a time to hunt. August to May should be a good time for hunting, since just about every huntable animal has a season open in the fall. You also will be able to hunt turkeys in early spring, before you leave. I don't know how hard it will be for you to get a gun, especially with Obama as president now, because they really check you out before you buy any gun. You'd have to check with somebody else for that information. Good luck and have fun.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:28 AM

The Missouri Department of Conservation, http://www.mdc.mo.gov/,establishes hunting regulations, manages public grounds, etc.

You can actually hunt without taking a hunter's education course -just purchase the "Apprentice Hunter Authorization Permit." http://www.mdc.mo.gov/regs/permits.htmHowever, you must hunt with a licensed(i.e. someone that has taken the hunter ed class) adultatleast 21 years old.

The MDC also maintains a database ofMDC-owned public property. For most hunting, you do not need to signin or call in advance.http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/applications/moatlas/AreaList.aspx?txtUserID=guest&txtAreaNm=s

Enjoy your time in Missouri!

Old 05-31-2009, 07:51 AM

The college I went to allowed you to store your guns with the school's public safety. You were forced to check the gun out when headed to the woods and check it back in as soon as you were back. It's something to check into at your school.

Paul
Old 05-31-2009, 11:47 AM

Thanks for great answers!

I understand that the gun laws differs from state to state, but that you have to be 18 or 21 to buy yourself?

First of all, I'm not going to a college, I'm going to a hell of a christian high school where you nearly get detention (served at 07.00AM saturday morning) just for spitting in the schoolyard... So no gun for me, and I'm also only 17 at that time, so no, I cant buy a weapon.

Regarding the High school, i'm living at something called a dorm, together with a lot of other students at the school compound. However, we are assigned families (or actually they pick us) based on hobbies and interests. I've written hunting, fishing and shooting there. Do "everyone" in the US hunt? If thats the case, I think ill get a hellofa good life over there... [8D] I wont sleep with this family (okay, that might sounded a little corny...), but if we get along, I'll be spending some of my weekends or afternoons with them.

Do shooting ranges rent out weapons? Are they commercialized as well, so that I just can rent a weapon and ammo and go and shoot?
Old 06-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Arne,

Missouri is a pretty good state to hunt deer and turkey. You should take advantage of your arrangement to concentrate on these critters. Your ideal result would be to get assigned to a family who's dad hunts, and has a gun you could borrow while here. Or better yet, try archery as well and extend your hunting season 2 months. There is plenty of good quality public hunting land in Missouri. Just do some research and pick a few nearby properties to concentrate on.After you pick them, call the property office for site specific regulations and advice.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:34 AM

Thanks, I hope that i get a good hunting experience out of this year.

By the way, how would you pronounce "arne" over there?
Old 06-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

R knee
Old 06-05-2009, 05:47 AM

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Future exhange student needing info about US hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.