Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Possible changes to Indiana Deer Regs? >

Possible changes to Indiana Deer Regs?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Possible changes to Indiana Deer Regs?

Old 02-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Possible changes to Indiana Deer Regs?

Any of you guys heard this? Sounds like the legislature wants to double the deer bag limit, allow crossbows in gun season, LENGTHEN gun season by a full week, and reduce the cost of licenses. Already passed the house and is on to the senate. I don't mind cheaper licenses in this economy, and i'm not sure how many more deer will actually get shot, but i don't like the fact that the legislature is so involved and making decisions that the DNR should be making.

http://www.in.gov/apps/lsa/session/b...amp;docno=1585
Old 02-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Possible changes to Indiana Deer Regs?

Should turn it into a big buck state...which I thought I read they're sorta attempting to do slowly...would bring more revenue....outfitters/hunters.

surrounded by big buck states....
Old 02-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Part of the reason I don't hunt on my family's Indiana land is because of the timing and continuous length of the first firearm season.......because I bowhunt only. When your first firearm season opens is about the optimum time to be afield with my bow.

Looks like Farm Bureau has a lot of clout in a lot of states.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's what kills indiana's chances is the gun season in the rut.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:28 PM

This bill only benefits the insurance companies. It will damage the deer population. Contact your senator and tell him/her to vote NO on house bill 1585.
I have already e-mailled my senator as have all my friends and family who hunt. I strongly urge you to do the same.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:56 AM
Dominant Buck

The legislature is attempting to take away IDNR's management of the herd in a misguided effort to thin the herd faster. Most Indiana hunters don't get two deer per season, so doubling the bag limit won't change anything.

ORIGINAL: salukipv1
Should turn it into a big buck state...which I thought I read they're sorta attempting to do slowly...would bring more revenue....outfitters/hunters.

IDNR doesn't manage for trophy potential, and has no plans to change that stance, they manage for the overall health of the herd. I've attended NRC meetings many times over several administrations, and spoken with plenty of folks in the IDNR, none have had any desire to have us become a "trophy state" or any intention of shooting for that. Besides, even if we had the genetics for it(which we don't) thesoil fertility is low compared to surrounding states, so big antlers are few and far between. You can find booners if you look for them, but not within 100 yards of your truck.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

The legislature is attempting to take away IDNR's management of the herd in a misguided effort to thin the herd faster. Most Indiana hunters don't get two deer per season, so doubling the bag limit won't change anything.

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

IDNR doesn't manage for trophy potential, and has no plans to change that stance, they manage for the overall health of the herd. I've attended NRC meetings many times over several administrations, and spoken with plenty of folks in the IDNR, none have had any desire to have us become a "trophy state" or any intention of shooting for that. Besides, even if we had the genetics for it(which we don't) thesoil fertility is low compared to surrounding states, so big antlers are few and far between. You can find booners if you look for them, but not within 100 yards of your truck.

I STRONGLY DISAGREE I SEE PLENTY OF BOONERS SEASON AFTER SEASON IN INDIANA AND WHERE DO YOU GET OFF THINKIN WE DON'T HAVE THE POENTIAL BIGGER AND BIGGER BUCKS ARE GETTING KILLED YEAR AFTER YEAR HERE
OBVISIOUSLY YOU HAVE YOUR SMALL DEER GOGGLES ON
Old 03-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

I for one do not want more outfitters/hunters in Indiana, that just shuts out the working man and woman.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Beehunter

I for one do not want more outfitters/hunters in Indiana, that just shuts out the working man and woman.

x's 2
Old 03-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

1585 is in the natural resource committee....It will likely die there

Quick Reply: Possible changes to Indiana Deer Regs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.