Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 New to Hunting - IL >

New to Hunting - IL

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

New to Hunting - IL

Old 01-23-2009, 12:27 PM

Default New to Hunting - IL

Hello,

I am new to hunting and was looking for some advice from the experienced. I normally spend my time bowfishing, with the occasional bass fishing trip in thrown in.

I've never really done anything besides some target shooting off of the water, so I'm not very in touch with the local hunting community. I'm located near the Joliet area, so I do have some access to the public lands in the surrounding area. I do not have any private land access lined up. I currently own a remington 870 and a mosin-nagant 91/30, the only bow I have is an AMS Fishhawk. The 870 is currently setup for home defense and I doubt a world war II russian rifle is going to be useful hunting in IL.

So more to the point, I was wondering what type of hunting would be best for rookies that would like to learn and become involved in the local hunting community. Also, what kind of equipment needs am I looking at, and does anyone have suggestion on that?
Old 01-24-2009, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to Hunting - IL

Bowhunting would be you best bet in Illinois. The season is 3 1/2 months long, with a couple weeks of firearms thrown in the middle here and there.

Yiou'd have to start with a decent bow, then it's a matter of getting out and finding deer. Not too easy on public land, especially anywhere north in the state. Lasalle state fish and wildlife area is a great spot. So is Kankakee River State park. Kankakee isn't too far from you.

If you'd like, send me a PM and I'll be glad to hook up with you and show you around. I'm also huge into bowfishing. I have a boat all set up with room for one more most of the time, and I go to a spot near Joliet most of the time. Make sure you check out the bowfishing forums here.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

First....you not allowed to use a rifle of any kind, so throw that german rifle thing out the window, or trade it in for a 870 that's not chopped down, that's also illegal.

Go find a archery shop and hang out there, buy a decent bow, you'll soon make alot of localfriends that will help you out. Good Luck.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

(Pssst.....Don't listen to those bowhunters, they're addicted to bowhuntingand can't help it! Let me help you.)

If you've not firearm hunted before you'll need to attend a Hunter Safety Course. Pay attention and learn to be safe, and, just as important learn how other hunters in your party should be safe. That's the first step and an important one.

Secondly, find an experienced ethical hunter who will tutor you. Their experience will save you a lot of questions.

Thirdly, find a good locally owned hunting/gun store. Talk to the guy at the firearms counter, browse the store, get to know some of the employees. Hunters who work in these places love to talk hunting and generally are very eager to impress you with all their knowledge ().

As for the shotgun, not sure how you have it set up, but the magazine should not hold more than three rounds with the chamber empty for hunting. A magazine plug and an extra barrel of suitable lengthmay be all you need to get started on squirrels, pheasants, ducks, geese, turkey or rabbits. A slug barrelcould get you set for deer hunting. The Remington 870 is an excellent choice of shotgun for almost anything you'll hunt in Illinois. Even that old Mosin-Nagant is not without a use if you're interested in thinning the coyote population down.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!
P.S. - I bowhunt also because its fun but I'm not addicted.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Gruntr Huntr

(Pssst.....Don't listen to those bowhunters, they're addicted to bowhuntingand can't help it! Let me help you.)

If you've not firearm hunted before you'll need to attend a Hunter Safety Course. Pay attention and learn to be safe, and, just as important learn how other hunters in your party should be safe. That's the first step and an important one.

Secondly, find an experienced ethical hunter who will tutor you. Their experience will save you a lot of questions.

Thirdly, find a good locally owned hunting/gun store. Talk to the guy at the firearms counter, browse the store, get to know some of the employees. Hunters who work in these places love to talk hunting and generally are very eager to impress you with all their knowledge ().

As for the shotgun, not sure how you have it set up, but the magazine should not hold more than three rounds with the chamber empty for hunting. A magazine plug and an extra barrel of suitable lengthmay be all you need to get started on squirrels, pheasants, ducks, geese, turkey or rabbits. A slug barrelcould get you set for deer hunting. The Remington 870 is an excellent choice of shotgun for almost anything you'll hunt in Illinois. Even that old Mosin-Nagant is not without a use if you're interested in thinning the coyote population down.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!
P.S. - I bowhunt also because its fun but I'm not addicted.
SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO FIRE MORE THAN 3 CONSECUTIVE ROUNDS.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:45 AM

A couple other notes:

1. Handgun is also legal. That way you can fire more than three rounds. There are some basic specs for the HG, Check the DNR website.

2. Finally the hardest part: GOOD LUCK finding a place to hunt. Extremely difficult to get on private property, especially in N. IL. This will be your most difficult task and job. And consume the most time! [:@]
Old 01-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, the good thing is that you are interested very early in the year which will help. I hate people who want to learn how to hunt around July and think they will be able to find a spot to hunt within 3 hours of Chicago. Its just not that easy. If you have the 870 then you are more than equiped to hunt deer as long as you have a good slug barrel. I take it is you are using the 870 as home defense, the short barrel is what you probably have.

Gruntr Hunter gave some great tips, Hunter saftey is a must. Even though it is only required if you were born after 1980, it's still very valuable to every hunter. If your hunting with someone experienced, they will feel a lot safer if you have taken the course.

A lot of people forget is that your gun has to be plugged in Illinois when hunting. I think Matt gave the right correction. You are only allowed to have two shells in the magazine and one in the barrel when hunting. This is something the DNR checks when you are out in the field. Make sure you do not forget to do this.

Since you have no access to hunting land, the best bet for you would probably try to get into one of the public land gun drawings. The deadline is April 15 and most fill up in that drawing. Id take a look at Des Plaines SP. Theres a lot of area there and I think you have a semi decent chance at a deer there. Heck, I see enough there when I pheasant hunting! If your up for a drive, some of the bigger public land areas in S. Illinois have lots of deer (Crab Orchard, Shawnee National Park) these are VERY large public hunting grounds. If your willing to put in the work and walk off the road more than a few hundred yards, there are plenty of deer to be had.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Now that Deer season is over for most of us, all we can do is talk about it!