Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Ohio Deer - who owns them? >

Ohio Deer - who owns them?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Ohio Deer - who owns them?

Old 12-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ohio Deer - who owns them?

2FNSLO,

Yes, they did tell him to build a fence. Of course where hewill get the money to surround 40 acres with a deer proof fence is another issue. I know people in the same area who have spent hundreds of dollars and a lot of effort just to try to deer proof a 1/4 acre garden, fo 40 friggin acres? Gimme a break[:@].
Old 12-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lanse...He'd be looking at $50K to put up that fence, on the low side.

My land borders a farm for 1500'. They have 100 cows, but do not live there. The fence is pathetic. They get out all the time and destroy my lawn. The first year I built my house...there were 27 cows grazing in my newly seeded front yard. There were about 1000 10" deep holes in an area that I had just spend $500 to level and plant.

I have ZERO recourse according to Ohio law. I can send him a bill and if he refuses to pay I have to take him to small claims court. Been there done that and it'snot a winning proposition. As far as the fence goes...If I want it fixed, I have to pay for 1/2 of it BY OHIO LAW. I would have to pay for 750' of fence if I want it fixed. Because we share a property line, the fence is BOTH parties responsibilities...even though I have no cattle.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

The state owns them.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pro-Line,

I've heard of that law in Ohio. Its kind of archaic since it dates to a time when everybody out in the country had livestock. If I was you, i would be eating steak every meal[8D]
Old 12-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

There is a new line fence law in effect. Doesn'thelp your situation (makes it worse), but everyone should be aware.
http://butler.osu.edu/the-new-ohio-line-fence-law
Have you talked with your local township trustees?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: M.Magis

There is a new line fence law in effect. Doesn'thelp your situation (makes it worse), but everyone should be aware.
http://butler.osu.edu/the-new-ohio-line-fence-law
Have you talked with your local township trustees?
Actually, livestock are specifically mentioned in that law. My guess is if the primary purpose of the fence is to control cattle he owns and contain them on his property, he may be allocated 100% of the cost. I doubt he has any legal right to let his cattle run neighboring properties and unless he wants to close them up in the barn...
Old 12-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

I didn't think that I implied it didn't. My point was, one needs to talk with township trustees rather than doing nothing, all thewhile saying Ohio law prevents him from doing anything. That simply isn't true. It wasn't true before and still isn't.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spaniel...Unless the 4 trustees, 2 sherrif's deputy and the prosecuting attorney that I've dealt with over the past 3 years are incorrect...Your "guess" that the farmer "may" be allocated 100% of the cost if incorrect.

This situation is going on 4 years now, and there aren't many avenues that I haven't explored. I even called 2 private attorneys and both told me that I would share 50% of the cost of the line fence according to Ohio law.

It's not a financial issue that's keeping me from paying for 1/2 the fence. There is more to it than that. If I put up a 10' brick wall between him and I, it won't solve the problem. His cattle are getting out in other areas that we don't share and coming straight up my driveway and my neighbors driveway. Once they are in either driveway...they can enter my property anywhere they want...eventually ending up in my yard chomping on Kentucky Bluegrass. (Man do they love that stuff)

If you can quote a law that I've missed or give me any ideas, I'd sure appreciate it.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can you keep the cattle?
Old 12-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nodog...If I can get a fence around them...Ohio law states that I may well keep them and auction them off to pay for damages.

You ever try to fence cattle that are used to roaming free on 200 acres with not much human contact??? LOL

Seriously, that is my one viable option.

All this said...there is only really a problem 2 times a year. Once in the spring when my 2 acres of lawn greens up faster than their pasture...then again in the fall when my lawn stays green longer.

Maybe I could poison my grass!

Quick Reply: Ohio Deer - who owns them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.