Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

WI Gun Deer!

Old 12-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default WI Gun Deer!

A couple years of EAB is good for something. I got two 8pts, friend got 15pt.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: WI Gun Deer!

Another pic/Didn't score it but wondering what you guys think. He's 8pt 20" inside spread. We scored the above 15pt at 157.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Dominant Buck

very impressive deer you have there.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice deer. Gross estimate 133. I'm guessing the main beams about 24", G2's about 9". The broken brow tine will short you a few inches. 8 pointers are tough to get over 140, (regardless of what you hear on TV about 160" 8 pts). So that considered, great buck.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

Earn a buck has nothing to do with bigger bucks!

As hunters we control the size of bucks where we hunt. The DNR loves it when people like yourself give them credit!!! We pull the trigger on the size animal we consider a trophy. The earn a buck is going to destroy our herd and as you know without Does you would not have a trophy deer. We as hunters should look at our areas- (each area varies) figure how many does there are and pass on small bucks. Control numbers per area not management units. Some areas now have very few deer because of EAB. There won't be trophy bucks with out Does!!!!!

DON'T FALL INTO THE DNR'S TRAP.

EAB SUCKS for our deer herd and for us hunters who have nurtured the herd to see this!!!!!

Those are very nice deer- Someone most certainly passed on them when they were younger.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

mr.mc54 don't get me wrong, I also think EAB sucks and the last people I'll give credit to is the DNR for the bucks we shoot. We have been letting small bucks walk for years and have found success. We have been hunting in CWD EAB for about 6 years now and that 15pt was aged at 6.5 yo. Now in those 6 years how many hunters saw that buck with horns and in a normal season would have shot it but they didn't have a buck tag. With the number of hunters in our area I would guess at least 3-4 hunters had their crosshairs on him but didn't have a doe thus allowing him to get older/bigger. Look at the size of some of the bucks taken in the last few years in the CWD zones, forget about the DNR, its more proof that letting small bucks walk works.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

Don't take me wrong- you guys shot some awsome deer.
My point is deer wont get that big if people shoot nubbies along with the does. There was a picture in the news paper in Menomonie WI that showed a hunting party that took 54 antlerless deer during our 10 day hunt near Agusta WI. (two families) That isn't anything to be proud of in my book. How many nubbies do you think were in them antlerless deer? It makes me sick!!! That is what happens when the DNR hands out all these two dollar tags....I am furious with the way our deer herd is managed.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Dominant Buck

There is a section of land owned by some wealthy people from Appleton near me. They have their land posted (which I have no problem with). They also have these neat signs about how they are a Buck Management area and then they explain about size requirements for those hunting the property. I have seen some nice bucks going into their area. I am sure its because (I heard at the tavern)they let anything six and smaller walk...
Old 12-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

We have a rule on our 160 acres that 16''or larger or you better not bring him in!

The only way to get big bucks is selective shooting. We let my grand kids or other first time hunters experience a first time kill but after that even the kid want big bucks. If you shoot an antlerless deer it better not have nubbies! I don't go as far as joining any management groups this what we do.
And yes you must shoot some does to keep your herd balanced. It is hard to do this if you have neighbors like my last post though-thank god I don't. Very rarely should you make a mistake and kill a nubbie-because you as a responsible hunter should know what you are shooting. We don't drive deer not saying this is wrong but if they stay on our place the young bucks will live!
Old 12-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

nice deer

Quick Reply: WI Gun Deer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.