Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >

wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-10-2008, 01:27 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Default RE: wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And they might be right about people not hunting after opening weekend.
Sure they are...it has ALWAYS been that way. Many more people hunt opening weekend than during the week. DUH! For the DNR to try to make this an excuse it ridiculous. Same with the "people don't do drives as much" argument. True as well, but that also has been true for years.

The problems specific to this year are:
[ol][*]The DNR greatly overestimated the deer population.[*]By overestimating, they also set the expectation among hunters to expect seeing many, many deer and having ample harvest opportunities.[/ol]
Given how winter has started off here (around Milwaukee we have about 16 inches of snow on the ground) I find it difficult to believe (barring a big warm up) that this winter will be any more amenable to a big increase in the deer herd next season. So, if the DNR does not want to further alienate hunters, they better be very, VERY careful about placing units into EAB next season.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

You are absolutely right tjd. It will be interesting to hear what they come up with for the units next year. I think there is enough of discusted hunters that they will listen. I know in our area (eab) all of the hunting groups hunt the same way they always have. The dnr is just backpeddling and trying to set us up for one of their record deer numbers counts again in the spring. What a joke!!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Dominant Buck

I've hunted deer in Wisconsin for more years then I care to count. I lived through the times when it was buck only in my area or remember the four man party tags? I am also a land owner. I do not allow does shot on my property. Yet there were no deer spotted on my land. I did not shoot the herd off at my place. So who did?

IMO the DNR made a concentrated effort to eradicate the deer herd. They have done this through scare tactics warning us of the need to end CWD, and this earn a buck was just crazy. When all I want is one deer for the freezer, why would I want to hunt a doe?They forced me to shoot a doe. Even though a buck is what I wanted to hunt.

And I do blame Wisconsin hunters a little. Some during the past years would brag.I would listen to them brag about the number of doe they shot, I used to tell them.. shoot all the cows in the barn and your calf crop is not worth a hoot next year. Now they are suffering.

And myself and others did go to meetings with the DNR. We did voice our concern that the doe herd was being shot off. And we were assured that our concerns would be taken into consideration. Only to see additional doe tags out in our area the next year. So much for our opinion. After all these geniuses are the ones that can't guess the approximate deer herd size. They are the ones that determine what is best for Wisconsin hunters. I wonder how they will handle a big reduction inthe number of licensed hunters next year?

The DNR tried to lay theblame because we did not hunt hard enough. I call BS on that. Why would you stay in an area and hunt,when there are no fresh track or sign in the snow? Does the DNR believe we have numerous places to hunt? Most hunters have one or two places at best,they can hunt. I hunt my property. I scout my property. From the sign I saw this fall, I knew the season would be bad. Go hunt a new area? The DNR must not have ever talked to farmers and land owners who tell you NO! And then, we did not make enough drives.. try making a drive when you come to a neighbors fence line that has not hunting trespassing signs posted. Are you going to break the law? So much for the drive. Or, you ever try to make drives in the national forest? Start walking past people on stand and listen to how they feel about you tramping through the woods on them. Or try and cover that stretch of woods in the forest sometimes. Its ruff. And then this ... we used the wrong formula to figure the herd. What a crock. They lied to us to sell license. Plain and simple. You can always tell when the DNR is not telling you the truth because their lips are moving. They had us shoot off the deer herd to make insurance companies happy. And now they realize the hunter, the ones that buy the license, the ones who's license fees basically help support DNR programs,and support the local economies with money during deer season are MAD. Oops! Now what? Well lets blame them. They were greedy. Well that won't work. We used the wrong formula? Again, dumb reason. So now its.. the herd reduction is now down to where WE want it. Who is WE? It sure as the devil is not ME.

Well I've shot plenty of deer in my life. But I will not hunt my land or allow anyone else to hunt or cross my property, until I am satisfied the deer herd is where I WANT IT. NOT THE DNR.. WHERE I WANT THE DEER HERD TO BE. Its my land, I buy the license. I also encourage all hunters in Wisconsin to teach the DNR a lesson. Don't buy a license for a couple years in a row. Lets see how they handle the lack of license fees. Lets watch our deer herd grow again. That will teach the DNR who controls the deer numbers and where we want our deer herd to be. Hit them in their pocket books.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:34 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

cayugad

I agree...

Sad to say I think it might take a bunch of hunters doing just what you said...stop buying licenses for awhile. Fact is I think that will happen, though more out of frustration than design. The hardcore hunters will still swallow hard and buy a license after a season like this. But the "good time Charlies"... the guys who go out in gun season to be with their buddies and shoot a deer or two...they might decide it is not worth it to go out, buy a license, spend two or three days in the timber or on a field, and see no deer. Lose them and you probably lose 25 percent of the gun hunters in the state.

You also raise a great point about the DNR not listening. This despite the fact that they always refer to hunters as their "primary deer management tool". Should this level of arrogance continue, herd management will have to rely on harsh winters or disease to keep the population in check.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Fork Horn

I feel your pain, the head of your Dnr and Minnesotas must be related.... Frickin idiots.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Points about not buying licenses:
1. While a few hunters may not buy a license next year, we will still have over 800,000 sold. Egos and the love of hunting is too strong for a huge number of guys to not buy licenses. Hunters it seems can't agree on anything, from baiting, to what caliber of rifle to use, so how will they all agree to this?
2. Any lack of funds will result in the newest, youngest,field workers and warden being laid off, it won't affect the administration.
3. Theyear after nextlicense prices will go up to make up for lost funds.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Handles

Points about not buying licenses:
1. While a few hunters may not buy a license next year, we will still have over 800,000 sold. Egos and the love of hunting is too strong for a huge number of guys to not buy licenses. Hunters it seems can't agree on anything, from baiting, to what caliber of rifle to use, so how will they all agree to this?
2. Any lack of funds will result in the newest, youngest,field workers and warden being laid off, it won't affect the administration.
3. Theyear after nextlicense prices will go up to make up for lost funds.

[hr]

Handles... that might be true, that many hunters will buy license. But I think there are a lot more then you might think, ticked off hunters this year. And I mean MAD. They are tired of the totalitarian attitude of the DNR and how they treat the hunters.

When I talked to locals, and 90% of them are not going to hunt next year, and more of them are going to restrict our land. If even 50% of them I talked to go through with their claims, guess what, it will be felt and felt hard. Even if 20% of total hunter numbers don't fall for the lie, that's a bundle of DNR dollars, programs, and jobs.

And when the next batch get skunkedthe next year because of the low deer numbers, they mightdecide they don't want to waste money and time. All of this will snowball again. Any effect from lack of sales will hurt the DNR's budget. While they might lay off all the young workers, that still reduces their numbers. Also as the older people retire they will not be replaced because of budgets. The ones working will not get raises, that will make the administrators happy. Also I personally feel some of the big shots need to be evaluated for their competency. WE USED THE WRONG FORMULA.. come on. What a crock of BS. Some of them need to be sent down the road for this.

Not only the DNR budget will be influenced, but watch the budget of all the restaurants, gas stations, motels, and taverns where these hunters spend money. With the pitiful herd kill in northern Wisconsin, I can tell you this ... a lot of locals will not fall for the tall stories of the monster deer herds, the DNR claims there is. And many who travel to this area will not be coming back. It will be interesting to see the license sales for next year.

And the last thing the DNR wants to do in hard economic times is to raise the price of the license. That will be that much more incentive to encourage hunters who are border line, may will may will not hunt to decide, its not worth sitting in the snow watching the squirrels.

Another thing you will see is increased incidents in violations. So they better keep their ears open. Of course if due to budget cuts there are less wardens on the job, that's a little harder to do. Remember when they outlawed baiting in the north. I had more tresspassers on my property that year then I could ever remember. And of course when I called the DNR, they were too busy to do anything. Typical I guess. Well it will get worse.

The worst effect of this herd slaughter is the impact it will have on future generations of deer hunters. Take a kid hunting. What a great idea. Have them sit or walk aroundfor days with expectations of seeing, and maybe shootinga buck, then their expectations drop to seeing even a doe, finally this young potential deer hunter is thrilled to see a squirrel. Well guess what, next year, he don't want to go. I'll stay at home and play hunting games on my computer.

Another thing we need to do is start to pressure Gov Doyle and our state representative. We need them to make it clear about how upset we are that the DNR has instigated this killing of the herd. And I say the DNR instigated it because while we might have pulled the triggers, they were the ones that demanded we earn a buck, or shoot does, or early does season, or extra doe tags. I really hope this blows up in their arrogant faces.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Absolutely right cayugad. The dnr can't make it with out us hunters. They can threaten to raise prices, but that will make less people buy tags. Also with the take a kid hunting. I can't believe they stated less numbers of youth hunters for a reason why the numbers were down. I get bored out of my mind setting in the stand not seeing anything. How do they expect to compete with video games. I started hunting in 91 and was spoiled in the 90's growing up in the "glory days" of wisconsin hunting. My boy is 16 mos old and I am going to do everything I can do to get the numbers up (at least on our 140 acres of hunting land) so my boy can have the same positive experiences of hunting I grew up with. As much as I don't want to do it but I think we all have to take a year or too off just like most of the guys here are saying. Except of course the Dnr "volunteer".
Old 12-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

I just dont understand why the DNR would want to kill off all the deer...I know pressure from the car insurance companies is a popular theory but I have yet to see any real proof of this...I am almost tempted to believe that they made an honest mistake figuring out the overall deer herd numbers...and I dont think they will ever listen to hunters, who have allways complained and are allways going to complain...i think they have tuned us out...
Old 12-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Which is precisely why we need to prove a point. We manage the herd so we should be able to have an input. Hit them in the wallet thats all they understand. It's all about money to them. That's the bottom line.

Quick Reply: wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.