Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Kankakee River pheasant >

Kankakee River pheasant

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Kankakee River pheasant

Old 10-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Kankakee River pheasant

Going to Kankakee in Dec. for a controlled pheasant hunt.
Anybody been? Any pointers?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kankakee River pheasant

Ive been there a couple times, Not a bad place. I'll give you a rundown on how it works. They open the doors to get your fields at 8 AM (opposed to 7 AM at Des Plaines) There has never been much of a line, just a few people. If your there around 7:45, you should be fine. I do go on Fridays usually, so it might be a little different on weekends. If I were you, Id get to the area around 7 and take a quick drive to check out the fields. Some Fields are thicker than others. Most people go for fields 4 and 5, but all of them are pretty good. The only ones I would stay away from are 3 and 10, never had much luck at those 2. 9 is decently tall grass, Ive heard a lot of shots from there, but I think you need a dog and thats something I don't have. Id say for most of the areas, don't be afraid to get into the thick pockets of terrain, thats where I kick a lot of the birds out. Many of these guys are out there with there dogs and just letting all there dogs do the work. They miss a lot of birds.

Another thing, hit the woods. A lot of these birds when they get up in the air or start running head for the woods. For some reason a lot of people don't walk the hill by the river, when all the fields have been pushed, I think a lot of birds run down towards the river. Ive seen an area worked over by two different sets of dogs and they didn't bother to take the walk down the hill by the river. My buddy and I went down there and got into all sorts of birds.

Another things, I don't know if you've hunted Pen raised birds before, but man, they love to flock together after they are released. If there is one, there is usually more around. Also, im sure you know this, but these birds love to run. Im always watching 40 yards in front of me for a flash of feathers. Once I spot a bird running, Im after it like a track star! Good luck and if you have any questions, don't be afraid to PM me, were lucky to have this program in Illinois so I try to help out as many people as possible with it.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kankakee River pheasant

Thanks, Fastetti. I think we've bumped into eachother on another forum? Actually, it was your suggestion to get into Kankakee that drove me there. I really appreciate the tips on the field #s, too . I do hunt with a dog, but I won't be shy of the water.