Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Wisconsin Rut Reports 2008 >

Wisconsin Rut Reports 2008

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin Rut Reports 2008

Old 11-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wisconsin Rut Reports 2008

How is Lake Tomahawk in Oneida County doing? Heading up there for gun opener.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:17 AM

TJD,

I hunt about 10 miles to the southwest of Mondovi. Just off of Cty Hwy J. This is our
4th season there, and its been great.

Trust me, I've been kicking myself all fall for not taking care of my EAB last year. I really don't like to shoot does/fawns under any circumstances. So, i was trying to tell myself that our DNR wouldn't have us in EAB this year, so I stayed off the trigger. Then this year so far, I haven't had as much time to hunt as I'd like, so haven't had many opportunities to take a antlerless other than a few fawns. So, I guess I'll have to try to get it done during the gun season.

This whole EAB thing just stinks. We pay a lot of money each monthto make the payment on the land, we pay 2,400.00 for taxes, and spend a ton in
gas money to make the 3 1/2 hour drive to get there and back, and then after all that, we can't shoot
abuckbecause the trusty DNR says we can't untill we kill Bambi first? To me, that just stinks.

I'm still one of those guys who really believes that the DNR's population "goals" are way too low and
really wish they'd wake up and take the politics out of managing our natural resources.

DNR: Destroys Natural Resources

Anyway, I have a buddy that hunts in Buffalo and says that the rutting in the last week up there has been horrible. No chasing, no grunting, seeing deeract like its still early october. Wierd.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

Rutting activity in Monroe Cty has been p#ss poor! Very little to mention of any activity including doe movement during daylight hours. The rut is certainly abnormal this year; at least where I hunt.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Spike

I hunted yesterday evening with a friend of mine and his son. The young man and myself saw nothing but birds and squirrels, my buddy kicked up a nice 10 pt with a doe walking to the stand and later saw a nice 8 pt with a doe just before it got to dark. Are the big boys hookedup with gals now? Is there usually rutting activity during the gun season?New to Wisconsin soI am just trying to learn.

Soup
Old 11-17-2008, 08:22 PM

Rut was pretty active near Black River Falls. I only hunted once this entire year (the last week of October). I saw 5 bucks within 2 hours of daybreak. Two were what I would consider shooters. I saw a really wide 8 pointer before taking the small 8 pointer in the attached photo. We own private property and it is relatively easy to get bucks of the quality I have attached in the photo. My biggest problem is that for some reason I can't seem to pass on them. I keep taking them year after year and I'm most definitely denying myself the opportunity at a big rack buck.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Spike

I was out today setting up my climber stand for Saturday's opener. I could not believe the number of new rubs on trees and the scrapes that I came across. I am kind of confused about the rubs. I was under the impression that rubs and scrapes are made during the pre-rut. What are your thoughts on this? Is the rut just messed up with the previous warm weather we had? Is this common? Do they continue do these things throughout the rut? Any information would be appreciated. I hunt in the Dells area.

Thanks- Soup
Old 11-24-2008, 08:34 AM

I stand corrected, I guess we do have some bruisers! We got this guys sheds from last year and they were pretty big.