Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Michigan legislature takes action on baiting ban! >

Michigan legislature takes action on baiting ban!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Michigan legislature takes action on baiting ban!

Old 09-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Michigan legislature takes action on baiting ban!

ORIGINAL: midwesthunter1

LMAO, i'm sorry michigan hunters who think you can only kill something over a bait pile. If you quit baiting deer harvest numbers would go up. Ask any Biologist, they will tell you the same. If they have to go and look for food they will be up and moving more. If they have a 1 ton pile of carrots most are going to move in the dark where mr hunter cant shoot him. I don't belive MI deer population is as large as they lead on. Maybe in sertain areas, but last weekend met mt buddy in battle creek we went to the up grouse hunting, didn't see one dead deer on the road on the way up or back, and only seen 2 deer while up there.
You must not have been looking very hard. Numbers don't lie, Michigan has a lot of deer, Michigan just doesn't know how to manage them!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

I find it amusing the some hunters think they are superior because they dont use "bait". But think nothing about hunting that oak grove, picked corn, soybeans, water hole, alfalfa field. apple orchard, persimmon treeto increase their chances of seeing game.

Living in Indiana, I feel any legal means to take deer should be understood and tolerated by fellow hunters or youran elitist cannibal. To judge others on how they legally take game is wrong.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:33 PM
RT1
Fork Horn

i stopped putting out bait piles a long time ago and instead hunt place my stands near food sources. I stopped because the darn deer would come out after it was too dark out, i conditioned them in a sense. I hunt the corners of corn and bean fields and see plenty of deer before the sun goes down.

Just because you don't see deer in Battle Creek, doesn't mean that there not there. If your hunting grouse, your making alot of noise, think about it.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tickman1961

I find it amusing the some hunters think they are superior because they dont use "bait". But think nothing about hunting that oak grove, picked corn, soybeans, water hole, alfalfa field. apple orchard, persimmon treeto increase their chances of seeing game.

Living in Indiana, I feel any legal means to take deer should be understood and tolerated by fellow hunters or youran elitist cannibal. To judge others on how they legally take game is wrong.
Couldn't have said it better. I understand some hunters just put out bait and don't put in the time but there are people who hunt over bait that put in more time than their counterparts.

Great statement tickman
Old 09-24-2008, 05:01 AM

Like i said in sertain areas you have an over abundant population. The state is very mismanaged. I have hunted all over MI and some spots have butt loads of deer where others have few. I think it really depends on the farmers influince in the area. I always find it funny how people compair a corn field to a bait pile. Ones many many acres where the othere is a pile. But as someone mentioned above that the deer do get conditioned to feeding on the bait piles and will come in after dark. Lets talk about diseases, CWD the biologiest don't even know how long it last in the soil. So if you put a bait pile in the same spot every year there fesies keeps piling up and ups your odds of the deer getting CWD. HUnting will get better if there was no baiting.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't care if folks want to bait. However, there is somewhat of a difference between putting a stand up on the edge of a 60 acre cut corn or bean field and putting yourstand over apile of shelled corn or whatever goodies you choose to lay out.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckhunter14

Couldn't have said it better. I understand some hunters just put out bait and don't put in the time but there are people who hunt over bait that put in more time than their counterparts.

Great statement tickman
17 posts and you have made one best on these forums yet! Hunting over bait is the same as hunting over cut corn or beans. Either way you are hunting a spot that is attracting deer because of there appetite. Its funny how the people who hunt Michigan don't care either way but some of the people (Not All!) voice there opinion so much on this and they have never stepped foot into Michigan deer hunting.

I come in from Illinois to hunt in Michigan and I pay a decent amount for my buck tag which is fine by me, but if I want to help with herd control I have to still pay a huge price for a doe tag. Illinois additional out of state doe tags are $12 I believe and Wisconsin $20. I hate having to pay another $100 or so just to do my part on herd control. I know there aren't a huge amount of out of state hunters that come to Michigan but hey, lowering the price on Out of State antlerless only permits would definently help be a start.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fastetti

ORIGINAL: buckhunter14

Great statement tickman
17 posts and you have made one best on these forums yet! Hunting over bait is the same as hunting over cut corn or beans. Either way you are hunting a spot that is attracting deer because of there appetite. Its funny how the people who hunt Michigan don't care either way but some of the people (Not All!) voice there opinion so much on this and they have never stepped foot into Michigan deer hunting.

I come in from Illinois to hunt in Michigan and I pay a decent amount for my buck tag which is fine by me, but if I want to help with herd control I have to still pay a huge price for a doe tag. Illinois additional out of state doe tags are $12 I believe and Wisconsin $20. I hate having to pay another $100 or so just to do my part on herd control. I know there aren't a huge amount of out of state hunters that come to Michigan but hey, lowering the price on Out of State antlerless only permits would definently help be a start.
Again with Michigan's great ability to manage the deer!

fastetti, it is great to see that you come to Michigan to hunt deer.

Hope everyone had a great season, anybody counting down the days yet? ONE WEEK!!
Old 09-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

[blockquote]quote:

[/blockquote]

Great statement tickman
I agree 100%, most the people that dont use bait are the ones hunting all the agricultural fields, up north we dont have fields around us so we use bait. and since all the bait shops are still selling bait, I would imagine most people are still going to bait, got all our feeders turned off on our property so it will be interesting to see how many deer we see this year without bait. If I see more deer and better bucks I will be convinced to stop using bait.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Robv2007

I agree 100%, most the people that dont use bait are the ones hunting all the agricultural fields, up north we dont have fields around us so we use bait. and since all the bait shops are still selling bait, I would imagine most people are still going to bait, got all our feeders turned off on our property so it will be interesting to see how many deer we see this year without bait. If I see more deer and better bucks I will be convinced to stop using bait.

Well said, no bait this year, if all goes well I will be save my $ and not baiting

Quick Reply: Michigan legislature takes action on baiting ban!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.