Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Just moved to KS >

Just moved to KS

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Just moved to KS

Old 09-17-2008, 12:13 PM

Default Just moved to KS

I'm in the Leavenworth area. What is the recommendation for deer hunting (rifle)? I am somewhat aware of the walk in thing but not real clear. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Just moved to KS

You can download an atlas from the kpwd site that will show you all the public ground in the state. You have to live in the state for six months before you can declare residency. There may be a few leftover non resident tags.... have no idea if they are near your area. As a NR,you can not even get an antlerless tag unless you first have an either sex tag. You'll be sitting pretty for next season. Would recommend you become active in a local church. In addition to the obvious benefits,you'll meet lots of landowners and hunters who can help you line up some private land. Best of luck to you.......
Old 09-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

I'm just South of you in Lawrence. There's not a great amount of walk-in areas here, but get an atlas and look it over. There is some public land and they do allow limited hunting at the fort. I hunt private land here as well as in the North Central part.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:48 AM

I have residency, been here six months already. I have looked at the maps with public hunting areas. But would prefer to hunt with somebody I know. How crowded are the walk in areas usually?
Old 09-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't hunted Kansas Since I was at KU about 5 years ago but I always had some good success at Clinton Lake. Opening day of the season seemed to have a car or two wherever I went, but from then on I never had a problem finding a place to hunt. There's a lot of open land there and a good amount of deer. Lots of ag. fields that are off the beaten path the hold deer. If you get off the road by more than 600 yards, you should be in good shape. I kicked up a lot of nice bucks while rabbit and pheasant hunting there, but never around when I was deer hunting. I was in college though so my deer hunting consisted of my firearm, enough legal orange and sitting on a tree stump overlooking fields. If I had the gear and the passion I have now for deer hunting, Im sure I would have found the bucks when hunting. I always had my freezer full with deer though, there are plenty of does out there for the taking! I still remember my good spots so if you think of taking a look out there, shoot my over a PM, I may be able to save youa little time scouting.