Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 shotgun only one buck what the heck >

shotgun only one buck what the heck

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

shotgun only one buck what the heck

Old 09-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default shotgun only one buck what the heck

Maybe some of you indiana boys can tell me this.
Why can you shoot one buck with a shotgun. but a doe or buck with a muzzleloader or two does or one and a buck with bow.

Why would they not allow you a doe with a firearm.
Also can you use the bonus anterless tags with a shotgun.
which would allow you to shoot a few does. or can you not use it with a firearm.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shotgun only one buck what the heck

I'm in IL, but I think it goes along with the reason here we have that you have a 2 buck limit, but can only take 1 buck during the gun season. So you can take 2 bucks, 1 in bow, 1 in gun, or 2 in bow, 0 in gun, but not 2 in gun.

I think its due to the higher success rates of the gun seasons.....for 1.

and for 2, way more gun hunters vs. bow hunters, though nowadays bowhunters are adding up quickly, so pretty soon that may not be the norm. It use to be Everyone gun hunted! and some bowhunted, but now it seems almost everyone does both, or even just bow....

Old 09-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

we are a one buck state unless i was told wrong
ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I'm in IL, but I think it goes along with the reason here we have that you have a 2 buck limit, but can only take 1 buck during the gun season. So you can take 2 bucks, 1 in bow, 1 in gun, or 2 in bow, 0 in gun, but not 2 in gun.

I think its due to the higher success rates of the gun seasons.....for 1.

and for 2, way more gun hunters vs. bow hunters, though nowadays bowhunters are adding up quickly, so pretty soon that may not be the norm. It use to be Everyone gun hunted! and some bowhunted, but now it seems almost everyone does both, or even just bow....
Old 09-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tim,

The shotgun tag you by over the counter is good for 1 antlered deer only. You can buy an extra antlerless only tag for something like $35. Probably the dumbest thing I think IN. does. People who just want some meat are now going to shoot that first 1 1/2 old buck they see instead of shooting a doe because they don't want to spend the extra money to get a doe tag. Great management by the state of Indiana!
Old 09-03-2008, 05:36 AM
Dominant Buck

According to the state deer biologist I asked at an IDNR meeting a couple of years ago the reason for the antlered only firearms licence is primarily a herd reduction strategy. Most deer hunters are extremely buck oriented, and the greatest number of deer are culled during the firearms period since that's when the most deer hunters are afield. The reason the other periods are either sex is to encourage more people to hunt those periods, which is also why crossbows are allowed during late archery. The bonus antlerless license is $24, not $35 as stated earlier, and you can use it during the firearms period. If you aren't shooting does during the firearmsperiod you're not reading your hunting guide, you'll find it here: http://www.in.gov/dnr/
Old 09-03-2008, 05:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

i see though i think you can buy the bonus anterless tag before buying the gun tag. I think from what i read. if so thats what i will do because i have no want to shoot my buck with my gun want my buck with a bow
ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

Tim,

The shotgun tag you by over the counter is good for 1 antlered deer only. You can buy an extra antlerless only tag for something like $35. Probably the dumbest thing I think IN. does. People who just want some meat are now going to shoot that first 1 1/2 old buck they see instead of shooting a doe because they don't want to spend the extra money to get a doe tag. Great management by the state of Indiana!
Old 09-03-2008, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ya i read it again and it seems like you can use the bonus tags during gun season.
Everything you said sounds right seems to me they want more bucks killed then does.
Nice to know i had not planned to hunt gun season even if i get my muzzleloader ready by then.
But i will unless i am tagged out
ORIGINAL: kevin1

According to the state deer biologist I asked at an IDNR meeting a couple of years ago the reason for the antlered only firearms licence is primarily a herd reduction strategy. Most deer hunters are extremely buck oriented, and the greatest number of deer are culled during the firearms period since that's when the most deer hunters are afield. The reason the other periods are either sex is to encourage more people to hunt those periods, which is also why crossbows are allowed during late archery. The bonus antlerless license is $24, not $35 as stated earlier, and you can use it during the firearms period. If you aren't shooting does during the firearmsperiod you're not reading your hunting guide, you'll find it here: http://www.in.gov/dnr/
Old 09-03-2008, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ohh and yes your right there 24 bucks then the second and every there after is 15
ORIGINAL: kevin1

Old 09-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

There are two major reason for the "regular gun tag" to be antler only...the first is the reason stated above

The second is so that does can't be killed on several state properties during normal gun season. The properties do not allow you to use a bonus antlerless permit any time during the year. A person can kill a doe with an archery or muzzy permit still only on the property. I hope this explainsstuff if notI can expand on the reasoning
Old 09-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I never buy my bonus during early archery..since the tag can be used for either buck or antlerless. If I shoot a buck during archery, don't buy the extra..buy the bonus antlerless since it's good throughout the rest of the seasons.

Also, aren't there still a county or two that you can only shoot antlerless during the last few days of firearm season?

Quick Reply: shotgun only one buck what the heck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.