Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 No Baiting in MI >

No Baiting in MI

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

No Baiting in MI

Old 09-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Spike

Default RE: No Baiting in MI

''baiting has hurt Michigan deer hunting more than any other thing out there.'' All though i dont totally agree, it doesnt help.What has hurt michigan deer hunting more than anything is the fact that we dont have any type of QDM. and these restriction on our liscenses doesnt count! thats not QDM. This just makes deer season a free for all. Baiting just makes hunting easier for the opening ''weekend warriors''. who drive to state land somewhere throw out a bag of bait and shoot anything that has horns. Let em go so he can grow. you want bucks in mi like they have in illinois? How about a 500 dollar fine if it scores less than 120 or something like that. That would keep more than a few ''brown is down'' as*@#$'s'' home. Im a taxidermist, and i can tell you that there were maybe 3 bucks of the60 i mounted last year that i would have taken.and 2 of the3 where from canada!!
Old 09-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Spike

get rid of the youth hunt too! or make it doe only! unless someone can tell me the benefits of it?
Old 09-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't want to start anything, since I hunt in NE Indiana....but......

Since we don't bait here, and have great hunting from October through December, how can the hunting be SO much different in the southern half of the Lower statecompared towhat we have in nothern Indiana?
Old 09-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Spike

2/3 of michigans deer population is in the southern half of the lower penninsula. I lived in central Mi for 13 years and still own property there. almost everything in that area of the state is private. I.M.O the best hunting and best chance for a big buck is in southern mi. The hunting is great down there. so i dont think there is much difference if any. but the northern L.P. is a whole other demon. Your chance of a wall hanger are slim to none! Because nothing lives long enough to mature. I.M.O.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Turnabuck, I know what you are saying!!!! I love QDM but not mandetory QDM. and let me explain. We would not need it if we could make a few huge changes, and tisis where it would get sticky because of our hunting heritage here in Michigan. If we could ban baiting 100% that means everyone not just the ones that follow laws, and now the biggy get rid of our 15 day gun season right smack dab in the middle of our rut and make it like 3 or 4 three day seasons spread out like 3 days around Nov18or 20th and then 3 days aroundDec 1st or 3rd and then a late season hunt But it will never happen. Michigan has everything it needs to support and grow huge bucks and I believe the QDM would happen by it's self when you really know you have a chance every time you walk in the woods to kill a biggen.. But we will all just fantisize over this because none of it will ever happen as long as the insurance companies are running our DNR.. Walt
Old 09-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Spike

stikbow, couldnt have said it better myself!!
Old 09-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Robv2007

how many of you have actually hunted public land in northern MI?
Before I bought my property in 2000, I hunted State land west of Oscoda for 22 years. I never baited and never had a problem seeing deer.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

The one way us hunters that can make a change is voice up to or legislaters in our state. let them know rule regulations needs to be changed. Not let ins. companies make the decisions. You don't voice up nothing is done. Like myself, I have and still do E-mail the state legislaters that they need to change the rule for quads to useall trails. To bring in money for the locals and boostthe economy ofmichigan. The state is not to bright!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Spike

Agreed ranger6. we all need to speak up. Problem is nobody is usually listening. Theres strength in numbers, so i always urge everyone who bowhunts to join the MBH. Regardless of what your opinion is of the MBH they are our biggest voice. Been a member for 14yrs.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with almost everything you all say.I have grown up in an era that baits. It is what I have been taught by all deer hunters in Michigan. People who state they are QDM hunters are the minority. I don't know if people will ever understand the "let small bucks walk and shoot a doe instead". The only reason I can understand shooting a small buck, gun or bow is if it is your first. I was in the position not long ago and that "baby" fork horn may have been the only thing toget me hooked on hunting.

Stikbow ---- You made a comment on page 3 after I commented the first time about the 70's when people didn't bait and the deer would feed all day. My only question is why would the deer feed all day if people didn't bait? The reason I see the deer some out to feed is the competition for food. This is because most of the areas I do get to hunt have little food sources, but do carry great bucks.

Quick Reply: No Baiting in MI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.