Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Ohio baiting

Old 08-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ohio baiting

Ok, so I was looking through the online Ohio hunting regs in the flip book yesterday.
On page 8 it states that " A Hunter Can Do The Following" and it goes on to list certain regs. So, number 6 says that you can hunt deer over bait.
I was not aware that baiting was legal in Ohio and couldn't find anything else on the subject. Does anyone know if what, if any limitations go along with this? Is it legal to bait on public land, etc?
Thanks fellas
Old 08-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ohio baiting

I don't think that there are any rules when it comes to baiting here in Ohio. As far as i know public land rules are no different that private land.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

yes it is legal to bait on public land.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the clarification guys
Old 08-07-2008, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is the worst law they have ever put in the books, in MI they have truckloads of bait they hunt over. The deer go noctunal. Better to plant plots that have nourishment year round. Yes, it is bait of sorts. In MI it is a multi million dollar business.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

It is the worst law they have ever put in the books
Your a little over-dramatic. It's been legal to bait for many years. The deer herd has only increased.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:16 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

M.Magis is right.Everyone around where i hunt baits and even if they all got a deer or two, the herd will still be HUGE.Where i hunt i see at least 5-15 deer a day and even more in december.So im all for baiting.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you don't, hunt? Bigger issues than you can think of are involved and directly attributed to Bovine TB outbreak in Michigan. Over dramatic, think again, it is knocking at our door.

Another social issue that should be considered is the economic effect of a ban or restriction on baiting.
Winterstein (1992) reported that sugar beets, corn, and apples were the most common baits placed by
hunters. The use of corn had increased from 10 percent in 1984 to 23 percent in 1992, while the use of
apples and carrots had decreased. Sugar beet use remained about the same. The study estimated over 13
million bushels of bait were used in 1991, with a net value in excess of 50 million dollars. In 1991, the
average hunter using bait placed about 40 bushels during the seasons. Minnis and Peyton (1994) reported
that among those who thought baiting should remain legal, 51 percent thought that economic considerations
were important. In 1995, Michigan Farm Bureau (MFB) suggested support for regulating baiting if it could
be done early enough to allow farm producers to adjust their seed orders or locate additional markets for the
deer bait. In 1998, MFB passed a resolution supporting a statewide bait limit of five gallons and approved
of legislation to prohibit deer feeding statewide.

And Disease

Research data suggest that baiting has the potential to increase disease transmission through close animal
contacts with food, feces, or urine. Strong evidence that supplemental feeding perpetuates bovine TB, and
baiting has the potential to contribute to that problem. This is especially true when unregulated baiting
concentrates animals for a prolonged period of time. Concentration leads to close animal-to-animal contact
and stress that may facilitate transmission of diseases such as bovine TB.
There is a potential for other diseases to be involved elsewhere in the state if supplemental feeding creates
appropriate conditions for pathogenic forms, and extensive baiting could contribute to this problem. There is
good supportive evidence of relationships, but conclusive research is unavailable.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Ohio, we usually put corn out to bait for does. They usually don't live long enough to pass on any disease!
Old 08-08-2008, 07:14 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

i mean baiting doesnt affect me here,the deer do not go nocturnel and everyone i know baits around the area.

Quick Reply: Ohio baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.