Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Kansas Unit 14

Old 07-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Spike

Default Kansas Unit 14

I drew my Unit 14 rifle tag. I will be hunting private land in the Emporia and Cassoday area. Does anyone hunt this area? If so what do you think about it?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Spike

Default RE: Kansas Unit 14

It's a good rifle unit. Not a lot of cover. Requires good scouting to be successful. Good population but the top end of the population doesn't seem to run as big as other parts of KS. Most of the action is right at daybreak and sundown. Be in your stand well before sun up. Bring a high end range finder. Know exactly what your limits are with your gun. Good luck you should have a very nice hunt.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:10 PM

I grew up about half an hour east of Emporia. Phenomenal hunting. As stated before, be adept at rangefinding and taking long shots, as there is a ton of open space broken up by hedgerows, sumac, and plum thickets.That being said, I've always found it easier to pinpoint deer in that type of environment because they generally relate to the fingers, draws, and funnels that separate the fields. Another great thing is that KS has a ton of walk-in hunting areas(WIHA) and it's not that hard to obtain permission to hunt private land.As usual,I'll be spending a good amount of time there thisupcoming season, sokeep us informed asto how you do.

Mark
Old 07-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Spike

My dad and i drew a tag there two yrs ago and killed two nice bucks. We have a pretty good bit of land to hunt so hopefully we will not have to venture of to public land. I just wanted to get some locals to let me know what they thought about the area. thanks for all the info and i'll stay in touch.