Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 LOST HUNTING GROUNDS >

LOST HUNTING GROUNDS

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

LOST HUNTING GROUNDS

Old 03-01-2003, 11:42 AM

Default LOST HUNTING GROUNDS

Have you noticed how much land is being closed to the average hunter by those wanting to make a living off our natural resources? I understand business is just that, the almighty dollar speaks loud but when is enough going to be enough?
Did you know that they tried to get a bill passed at the capitol last year making several thousand tags for deer and turkey available for non-residents, free to out fitters and bed and breakfast locations just so they could get more business. Now will they be wanting trophys or will they be looking out for our hurds interest and trying to harvest reasonably. If you just paid for a hunt I' ll bet you won' t take a lesser deer or let a monster walk, ....
Old 03-01-2003, 11:48 AM

Default RE: LOST HUNTING GROUNDS

You have to be very careful when defining ' our natural resources' .... If I own 640 acres of land, that is NOT your natural resources, they are MINE. You using them because they are ' ours' is like me using your garage to store my boat during the winter JUST because...

I haven' t heard about free tags for outfitters.... I think no state could be SO stupid to lose the revenue from the tags themselves.

I think you need to re-think your post and clarify it because it makes absolutely no sense.

Old 03-01-2003, 02:37 PM

kc-bowhunter...No sir I would not expect to just enter your property and hunt, that would be trespassing. Also you would own the land not the wild life that comes and goes. That sir is your states nat. resource, unless of course you are raiseing animals and are attempting to keep them fenced. The bill in question was tabled in Iowa due to lack of support. The wording was being argued because it was to GIVE these extra tags to businesses.
I respect the landowners rights to use their land as they want even if it is to lease to an outfitter.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:52 PM

1st shot

Agree with you. I' ve quit worrying about anti-hunters cause we' re doing a better job of destoying hunting than they are.

We' ve met the enemy and he is us...........

You' re correct, my property belongs to me but the resource does not. You make perfect sense.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-07-2003, 06:43 AM

In the state of Missouri, the Missouri Conservation Commission and all of its offices reserves the right of " eminent domain" , which means, they can and will regulate or aquire any property, public or private, for how they see fit, under the law of the highway commision.

In other words, if you own 640 acres of property in Missouri, and the MDC decides they need that property for a wildlife refuge, public hunting or fishing property, ect., they pay you fair market price and aquire the property, whether you like it or not. Just the same as many states have new highways going thru private property and the land owners have no choice but to let them.

Now, the chances are very remote that they will do this, but they can if they see fit. I have never personally ever heard of anything that drastic, and I agree with most of the things the MDC does for this state. That is why they are considered a leader in conservation efforts for the U.S., with a good many more states following their lead. The only thing remotely close to hearing about this is a piece of property that was being bid on next to a wildlife refuge (across a 2 lane blacktop) and several people were planning on bidding on said property in an auction. The MDC came in and bought the property.

Keep you head up, there is more property to be found elsewhere. I thought the same thing about 10 years ago when I lost the rights to a goldmine of a property by way of the death of the owner, and the insuing legal battle to sell the place by his surviving niece and nephew. Then I kept banging on doors, inching my way in by help around a place, or starting out slow by asking permission to hunt in the spring for turkeys with a bow. That is my favorite way of getting a property. It seems that most owners are not so shy of the bow in the spring and tend to think it is more harmless and safe than asking to hunt with a rifle or gun. I did this for 2 or 3 years, then gradually worked my way , little by little, into rifle hunting once the owner seen that I was responsible hunter. Helping out free of charge around the farm is another ticket of success, whether it be clearing brush, mending fence, feeding livestock, ect. I now have about 1800 acres to myself and no one else, to hunt on in several different places by doing this very thing. And the only cost it is to me is the processing of a deer to give some meat to the land owners, and a little elbow grease.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:02 PM

Richie

When the voters passed the 1/8 cent sales tax it states that NO land can be purchased except under normal, public transaction and at fair, current market price.

They cannot take land as you stated using sales tax money to pay for it. That' s why you don' t see it being done. Thay also cannot purchase land that isn;' t for sale by the landowner...

I know this cause they' ve tried to purchase serveral tracts of land here, including mine, unsuccessfully.

Old 03-07-2003, 07:45 PM

I am sorry , Woodbow. But just because they didn' t purchase the property doesn' t mean they cannot.

Go to page 2 in the Wildlife Code of Missouri, Rules of the Commission;

Section 41. Aquisition of property--eminent domain.

The commission may aquire by purchase, gift, eminent domain, or otherwise, all property necessary, useful or convenient for its purposes, and shall exercise the right of eminent domain as provided by law for the highway commission.

Now, that being stated, I did read the sales tax section (section 43a) and understand that this is where they get said monies for aquisition of properties. But don' t be confused about the power they have. They choose not to use it in most cases, but they still have it if they see fit, as I stated earlier.
Old 03-08-2003, 04:52 AM

Just as a side note......

I called a buddy of mine who works for the M.D.C. and asked him the question about the power of obtaining land thru eminent domain. His reply was, that the state reserves the right to obtain property thru eminent domains provided by law for the highway commission, but the majority of the time does not, and tries to purchase the land instead of forcing its hand, due to legal cost of a courtroom battle against the value of the property needed to be obtained.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

In other words, if you own 640 acres of property in Missouri, and the MDC decides they need that property for a wildlife refuge, public hunting or fishing property, ect., they pay you fair market price and aquire the property, whether you like it or not.
Richie3, am I reading this correctly? I know that many, if not all states have the right of eminant domain for transportation purposes, but for hunting and fishing land?

Is that really true in Missouri?

Quick Reply: LOST HUNTING GROUNDS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.