Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Ever get bit??? >

Ever get bit???

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Ever get bit???

Old 06-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ever get bit???

What type of critters have bitten you? Come on, I know you been munched once or twice, lets hear about it!

Here is mine (And I bet I win with the best bites )

1) Several dog bites that have resulted in many scars and stitchs. Mostly from a black nasty mut my Dad wouldn't kill cause he promised his sister on her death bed he would take care of it. One other dog bit me a good one in the face when I was about 6 and teased it with a treat at the end of his chain... Got a little to close But I bit him back!

2) A snapping turtle got me in the achilies heel. I was trieing to catch a double. I saw two together, got the 1st one and flung it behind me and went after the next one that was about to fade away into the murky Menomomee river. Smack! from behind, little basterd got me good. It took a couple tries with a stick to loosen his bite. I was about 9 or 10 at the time and used to catch the turtles for an old bar owner friend of my Dads who would give me a few bucks each turtle and save me a bowl of soup. Soooo I guess I bit the turtle back too.

3) Ok, officially "not a bite" but this one ranks for effort. I was about 6 or 7, and kept seeing a chipmunk poke his head out of a hole. So being the icreadably smart child I was, I devised a plan to catch me a pet chipmunk! I laid behind the hole still as a statue, HAND READY FOR THE GRAB. Suddenly the little rodent poked his head out and my hand carreemed down for the grab..... Missing the much faster than expected rodent and slamming into a busted coke bottle that slashed my wrist and hand wide open spraying blood all over everything I took about 10 years off Ma Infalts life with that one, and got some great scars to show off.

4) Caught a 5 pound northern on a rapala plug when I was about 16 and was trieing to get the hooks out when a violent jump from the fish hooked me to the rapala hooked in the fish mouth... No stitchs, but he did a number on me, enough so, that when I got done RAPIDLY unhooking him, he was no longer releaseable.

5) All the coons I had caught had given me minor nips, but I had NEVER gotten bit... Till recently when we had three year old coons that had gotten into things in my barn and needed to be relocated. I had to corner them in a crawl space while my Wife Satan held a burlap sack for me to toss them into. The 1st 2 went ok, but the last one did a little spin move and got ontop of my hand and did the tasmanian devil There goes the perfect record.

6)Opossum... To slow for an old pro like me! Or so I thought. I used to catch and trap hundreds of them stinky little bastards when I was a kid. I used to go looking for them with a burlap sack and chase em down and catch em alive. An old farmer dude used to give me a few bucks for em. He ate em and sold the hides, and I didn't have to skin em... Never ever got bit till a few years ago while hunting with buddy John Gilles . We were gun deer hunting on the last day of the season and I heard something comeing with only a little time left before closeing time. Turned out to be a possum. I tried to let him just walk his huge self by, but he got to where I set up my stuff at the base of the tree before climbing and just sat there sniffing dan funk... Well, ain't no opossum keeping me up a tree. Soooo, Dan Infalt "SUPER GENIUS" devised a plan... I decided I would lower my gun right on top of the ol bug eyed rat and send him off running through the forest. As the gun got within a few inchs the possum freaked. He puffed up and walked backwards to behind the tree and just sat there motionless. I worked the string and got the gun to swing around and end up lying right next to him on the back side of the tree...
By this time, I could hear ol John coming, and decided enough playing with possums, it was time to pack gear. So I crawled out of the ol Lone Wolf and carefully unhooked it and packed it onto my back and started climbing down unhooking each climbing stick as I passed it. By the time I got down, I had forgotten all about my little buddy on the other side of the tree. I packed my climbers onto the stand and while on my knees, reached around the tree to get the ol shotgun and ... MUNCH! That little buzzard sunk a canine almost completly throuh my finger.... It was quite the job getting him to let go. When he did, John wanted me to execute him for his violations, but I felt I DESERVED the bite for not paying attention to what was going on around me. This one was my fault completely.

The other bad possum bite was last summer when me and Dan Jr and I were shining deer and saw a possum who just "screamed" catch me on film. Well he put on quite the show as he went into over drive running full out. He was a big pig, and I WANTED A CATCH BAD. As I GOT RIGHT ON HIM, i WAS RUNNING TO FAST TO grab his tail or scruff, So "SUPER GENIUS" thought, hey, if I grab his side and flip him he will slow down enough to grab the tail... MUNCH! That one should of gotten stiches.

7) Caught a big rat in my barn on video, grabbed that thing in a quick hand thrust. MUNCH. Not a bad one, but it counts. You can hear old lady Satan yelling in the back ground "Your gonna catch typhoid"

7) Skunk... Aaahhh wait, I won't be talking about that one Lets just say Never place anything with teeth on your lap and then tease it.

Almost got to add bear to the list, but my dang son shot him just as he was climbing over me to play.

Oh yea... there was a time when I was about 6 or 7 and I wanted to have my own zoo. So me and my buddy Jamie Martin would go critter catching. We used to lift old pcs of garbage around the farm looking for mice and snakes. I had some mice we caught in a bucket and would put bread and corn and water in for them. One day "SUPER G" decides they have tamed and he could probably pet one. M-U-N-C-H I let all the mice go after that... Then there was the snakes... No THEY didn't bite me, but my brother Bill did after me and Jamie dumped our whole snake pit into his tent while he was sleaping and watched through the tent window as they crawled into his shirt and up his pant legs... And one just started to slither into his open mouth when suddenly the screams erupted and a very angry brother Bill came crashing out of the tent... Aint no animal ever scared me that bad!
Old 06-06-2008, 08:15 PM

Default RE: Ever get bit???

snakes, lizards, turtles, caiman, , mink, fox, coon, possum, dogs, cats, fish, etc, etc, etc
Old 06-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

Horse,dog,possum,bird,tick and occasionally the ole lady if I played my cards right.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:16 PM

cats,dogs,horses,birds My husband got bit by a coon he was making into "a pet" when he opened his dresser drawer to pet it.. That one earned him a nice long stint in the hospital and a painful series of rabies shots. The coon did have rabies. Husband almost lost his finger to the bite.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I was about 20 or so and yes I'll admit I had been drinkin'. So I was at the bar and around comes closing time. There was this girl that really hadn't caught my eye earlier, but when I heard last call; well I sorta took an intrest in her.

So the two of us staggered out to the truck....................

Luckily I didn't need rabies shots.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

Well I was about 20 or so and yes I'll admit I had been drinkin'. So I was at the bar and around comes closing time. There was this girl that really hadn't caught my eye earlier, but when I heard last call; well I sorta took an intrest in her.

So the two of us staggered out to the truck....................

Luckily I didn't need rabies shots.

But you did need a penecilin shot, right?
Old 06-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

hmm haven't been bit by much yet. i've done most of my growing in a suburb so that kinda put a damper on things.
bluegill, bass, rabbit, cat
Old 06-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Little Lanse has gotten me on the arm a time or two. Other than that, a ferret bit the hell out of me in a pet store a few months back.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:46 PM

this ole boy bout got me a few times

Old 06-10-2008, 04:54 AM
Typical Buck

Hell everything I try and pet bites me.