Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 U.P. Michigan Black Bear Baraga? >

U.P. Michigan Black Bear Baraga?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

U.P. Michigan Black Bear Baraga?

Old 05-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default U.P. Michigan Black Bear Baraga?

Been applying for a couple of years, haven't drawn, looks like it's possible to draw the 3rd season/period this year, though more likely next year....

Do I want to hunt the 3rd period? vs. the 2nd vs. 1st?

Is one really better than another?

I think I don't have a problem waiting to draw the 2nd period, instead of the 3rd, but not sure I want to wait for the 1st period.

Going to be hunting the Baraga unit when I do....considering bow....?

What are the best options? over bait? dogs? spot n stalk?

How is baraga? the UP? Have taken 2 nice bears before, so would be looking for something nice, not just anything, though sounds like a trophy/monster is unlikely.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: U.P. Michigan Black Bear Baraga?

if you want a big bear, your gonna have your best chance the first period as the bears will get smarter as they are hunted, also you will have your first chance at a bear before other hunters have shot them, if you look on the dnr website it will tell how many points you needed last year to get drawn for certain hunts in each district, i think 1st hunt in baraga was about 6-7 points and that for resident, usually need more points for non-res, for 3rd hunt i think you only needed about 2 points
Old 05-19-2008, 07:05 PM

This is my first year applying in gwinn area, I hear from some local bear hunters the Michigan DNR is planning to have more permits than the past due to an increase in bear incident reports last fall.I think the main reason to wait for the permit for the first season is to hunt before the bears are run hard by dogs. Are you planning on a guided hunt? I think weapon used is your choice, I'm a bowhunter and no longer will be caught afieldafter big game with anything else,I don't know how affective spot and stalk would be in the U.P. just due to the thick cover in most areas. I'd stick to bait, I personally am not a huge fan of dogs, if I raised and trained my own I'd probably be more ok with it, I personally don't feel the sense of ackomplishment having a bear treed by others and being the shooter. It's howmy feel, I don't knock anyone for hunting in any legal matter. As for trophy bear, the U.P. has large bear but I think it's more known for numbers of bears than large sizes. There are probably better areas for trophies, but beautiful county.How large where your two nice bears?
Old 05-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Booney I agree with you on the dogs.....if I trained them raised them that might be another story, that's one of my main problems with cougar hunting, I've heard cougar hunting isn't easy, chasing a cat around the mtns, but still the dogs tree them, then you shoot them, I'm sure you'll be sweating,working hard, but something just doesn't agree with me onthat one.

I have taken 2 bears with guns, and I really would like to take a nice one with a bow, and it sounds like over bait is almost the only way to do that.

I'm definitely going for 2nd season over 3rd, but now I'm wondering if waiting for 1st season would be the thing to do, since I want to bowhunt, w/o dogs, birdhunters etc.....

Both of my bears were just under B&C for skull sizes....i think 21" is BC, 1 was like 1/8" shy the other like an inch.
both were spring bears, beautiful hides, one was 350lbs, the other 450lbs, both estimates, but the guide wasn't a rookie so I'm sure he was close, did have a chance at an abs monster, probably BC all the way and 550lbs plus, I was young though, hadn't hunted big game before, and in my mind at the time dangerous game...haha, today that bear would be dead, oh well still got 2 nice ones.

It seems most bear guys talk about is weight.....when the skull is what measures.....and I think some regions have big skulls and maybe not bodyweight, or that may just be due to age and food in a given area.... a PnY with the bow would be nice though, I won't take a tiny bear, and I've found most guys will shoot the 1st bear that comes to bait, so hopefully with a few things going right I'll be able to take a nice one with a bow.

I can draw 3rd season this year I think, though I'm looking forward to next year or the year after for 2nd season, though now I'm considering 1st season, which may be afew more years of applying.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

you guys need to come to wva you just buy the tags over the counter helped 2 people last year take two with the bow last year just check wvadnr on the web cya
Old 05-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

The 3rd hunt sucks because of the dog hunters.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:27 PM

Since you're out of state and have already waited a couple of years, I'd definately pass on the 3rd season and wait for the 1st or 2nd. There is only a five day difference between 1st and 2nd season, I don't think that's enough to wait for only the 1st season. People are out training dogs before season anyways so the damage will already be done, just not to the degree it will be once hunting begins and bear are harvested. As for taking a P&Y bear with your bow, it's hard to say. The U.P. is one of the areas you mentioned, sizing bear by weight not skull measurement. I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about skull size up here, always weight. I'm sure you can find yourself a trophy if you find the right area and put in the time. People in the U.P. don't seem as trophy oriented as other areas I've been with all game, I think most are just happy to get something.This is probablydue to a large degree with a lack of trophies, especially in whitetails. I think the chancesat a trophy bearis by far better in the U.P. than a trophy deer. It sounds like you've taken some very nice bear, hope you're able to top them, best of luck!!