Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois Cougars...Again! >

Illinois Cougars...Again!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois Cougars...Again!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Spike

Default Illinois Cougars...Again!

I guess they are so overpopulated that they are forced to head into the city to find food! Ha! Time for some management!
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=6305159&version=3&locale= EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1
Old 04-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Illinois Cougars...Again!

The only three confirmed cougars in Illinois are dead ones, so i think that we have the cougar management down perfect.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Did you guys see the video on CNN about the cougar they gunned down in Chicago.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

Yup, saw that news article. Hopefully it was a pet and not a wild one. I more than anyone hate to compete with other carnivores such as wolves, bear ect ect ect.... but if its wild you have to look at why they are moving East. Whether be itfood or habitat it means something.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

YeaI caught the store a couple places....kinda wondered where it came from
Old 04-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

maybe it came about a100 mile from the northwest, Milton WI

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/ce/news/rbnews/BreakingNews_Lookup.asp?id=786

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/ce/news/rbnews/BreakingNews_Lookup.asp?id=776
Old 04-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live about 6 blocks from where it happened and the North Side of Chicago is going crazy about it right now. I want to first point out that I wish they could have somehow trapped this thing and released it up North somewhere. These Cats are beautiful to see in the wild. That being said though, this was the only solution at the time. All of these bleeding heart liberals think that Chicago issue tranquilizer guns to every officer and they should have tranq'd it, even if it took days. I even heard some lady suggest they set a trap with a trail of popcorn leading to it. I thought natural selection would have weeded people like that out a long time ago . Seriously though,I don't think these people realizes that this thing jump 15 feet straight up and kills Elk. I wouldn't want to be walking to the train at 6 AM and have a cougar 20 feet away growling at me. They killed this thing in 4 blocks from 2 schools. Then we got people here saying that it was unnessesary that they fired 13 shots from there hand guns. I do a decent amount of mule deer hunting in Wyoming and know there are a lot of mountain Lions near my camp, which Is why I carry my glock with me. Now, if I ever had a mountain Lion running at me, you better believe my clip is going to be emptied.(Idon't think and never want this to happen, thats for sure!)Sorry, I just have to vent a little. These people as telling theChicago Copsthey are trigger happy and stupid, yet they are the people whocome blazing with lights and sirens when something is wrong.

I would loved to have seen this Cat trapped and released, but in downtown Chicago, it just wan't possible. Exotic animal experts and zoologist in Chicago say thee copsdid the right thing. Even if it was tranq'd, it would take 20 minutes to set in and a wounded cat running around the city, well, I don't even want to think about that.

By the way, size on this thing was about 150 pds, 4 1/2 feet long (8 w/ tail). Pretty big cat, wouldn't want that running around the city with my friends kids running around. I do want to reemphasize that I in no way condone the killing of animals if they are not going to be eaten, but in this case, there eas no other choice. I really hope all these liberals can understand that.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Some biologist checked out the cougar and said he was definitely a wild specimen (how do they know that?).
Old 04-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Damn, it was in fact a wild one that is pretty strange. The other two cougars were in the western part of the state in some isolated areas by the river. Weird.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

I don"t care what some city, self proclaimed, clown says, that is a kept cat. Just think, if that cat came all the way from the black hiils of the Dakodas, does anyone think he"d be as heavy as he was? I think some bozo had him and either got away, or let it go. More people would have seen it. About 20 25 miles to the north people say they saw a couger 1 or 2 days before, could be the same cat, but that don"t mean it was from the wild. Just a little hard to belive, Just like the coyote that got into a Quiznos down town late last year. The dog walked into the store like he wanted a sandwitch of the day, he to 'I think' had human contact.......IMHO

Quick Reply: Illinois Cougars...Again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.